Operating System - Linux
1753261 Members
4962 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pavilion522n will not run linux

George Skokan_1

Pavilion522n will not run linux

I have installed Red Hat 8.0 on the 522n, but the program will not start. It hangs during boot up after listing the items on the IDEs, eg Hard Drive & CD devices. Since Red Hat wouldn't start, I installed Mandrake 9.0 and it wouldn't start either. It hangs at the line apm: Bios version 2.2 Flags 0x0b. Both Red Hat and Mandrake installed without a hitch, but will not run. Anyone have any ideas while this model will not run linux? Both will run on a Pavilion 6638 that we have in another office.
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Armbrecht
Frequent Advisor

Re: Pavilion522n will not run linux

Your system hanging on "apm" indicates that there is a problem with the Advanced Power Management. Usually the problems arise due to a faulty implementation of APM in the BIOS. You have two options now:
1) If you can, disable APM support when installing Linux (as I don't know RedHat or Mandrake, I don't know if they give you an option for that).
1) Try to get a BIOS update. This might fix your issue.

Regards
Mick
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Vincent Stedema
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Add the option "apm=off" to the boot command. This will disable apm.

Regards,

Vincent
George Skokan_1

I was able to start both Red Hat and Mandrake with the statement "linux apm=off" I had to add the linux for it to find the module or something. BTW I had tried "linux noapic" and it didn't work. THX
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

You have to had Linux because it is the system you are booting !
2 solutions to ease your job :
edit your loader (/boot/grub/grub.conf if it is grub, /etc/lilo.conf if it is lilo, and add this argument at the end of the part concerning this boot (more explanation if required !).
/sbin/lilo to re-write to mbr if lilo (grub does it by itself).

do a chkconfig --level 2345 apm off
It'll stop apm launching at start (both solutions are OK) !
Good luck
J
You can lean only on what resists you...