5936 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Performance Issues with HP-UX 11.31 IA - ARIES and ORACLE DATABASE 7.3.4

Daniel Melo
Occasional Contributor

Performance Issues with HP-UX 11.31 IA - ARIES and ORACLE DATABASE 7.3.4

Hi, guys.

Anyone have experience implementing Oracle 7.3.4 under HP-11.31 IA Aries?

It works ok, but to create indices, the disk IO is very slow.

I was looking for information but found nothing.

I need to make some configuration in Aries.?

Regards

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > General to  HP-UX > Databases - HP Forums Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Performance Issues with HP-UX 11.31 IA - ARIES and ORACLE DATABASE 7.3.4

Aries isn't involved in I/O...it simply interprets each machine opcode (from PARISC) and executes the equivalent IA64 opcode(s). Because this is an interpreter, the CPU usage will be very high, perhaps 4 to 8 times more than native IA64 programs. So if you are running Oracle 7.3.4 PARISC code on the Itanium platform, I would expect 1/10th of the performance on native PARISC (or worse). Check your IA64 CPU usage with Glance or top and compare that to the disk I/O rates you had in the old server for the same tasks.

And of course, Oracle 7.3.4 is completely unsupported on IA64 Itanium systems.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
NitinD
Frequent Visitor

HP ARIES is a dynamic binary translator and not just an interpreter.
It translates and caches frequently executed code. ARIES can also be configured for a second translation phase (with aggressive optimizations) when applications have a skewed profile with some really hot paths.

Please go through the IEEE ARIES whitepaper for more clarifications.

For most enterprise applications (including Oracle DB server) ARIES performance on Itanium 9300 or Itanium 9500 processor series is same or better than HP 9000 servers, provided that emulation overhead is taken into account for target server sizing.
You may need same number of cores on Itanium 9350 relative to PA 8900, and about 10 MB additional memory per process. Also make sure that PHKL_41967 and the latest ARIES patch (PHSS_42863) are installed.
Reducing filecache_max and filecache_min  kernel parameters to about 5-10% may also help.

Nitin
HP ARIES R&D

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

What kind of disk are you using? How large are the tables involved? If you have tables will millions of rows it WILL take time to create indexes. What is your experience level with oracle? The version you reference has been obsolete for a LONG time - and is not certified on Itanium. It is not even 64 bit......