New Discussion юеВ

Performance gain in move from 10.20 to 11.00

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Watson
Super Advisor

Performance gain in move from 10.20 to 11.00

I have one HP/9000 D250 with 128mb ram.

Its sole purpose is to run an OLTP finance application on a C-ISAM database which serves around 30 users via telnet to Reflections.

There isn't really a performance issue at the moment, but I want to ensure maximum performance without spending any pennies.

Over the six months I have been in charge I have reduced clutter, striped the C-ISAM database (size is around 4 gig), and moved its temp files directory to another striped VG. And I have vxfs'd various filesystems too.

Anyhow, to get to the point. I understand that I could expect a performance increase if I move to 11.00. Would anyone like to chip in with comments/figures on expected increases for this configuration?

Kind regards

Chris Watson

Moving along nicely
3 REPLIES 3
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Re: Performance gain in move from 10.20 to 11.00

Hi,
In mid-1999, you would have seen a slight difference mostly because of the vxfs in HPUX11 is improved, I havent benchmarked HPUX10.20 for fs since, but at that time the difference was about 10-30%, I did lots of testing at that time, because a k360 HPUX10.20 was slower than a D220 under HPUX11 when exporting the same data base and I was asked to justify the choice of the K... I oppened a call at that time and was told it had something to do with the different version of VXFS, which was mainly 1 read HPUX11= 8 reads HPUX10.20, or something like...
As I have already mentionned this was almost 2 years ago, since patches may have greatly improved the HPUX10.20 vxfs...
All the best
Victor
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

In addition to what Victor said:
If some of the applications you're running exist in native 64 bit versions or could be recompiled, you should expect some speed improvement as well.

Best regards,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Berlene Herren
Honored Contributor
Solution

Here is a great site that explains the benefits, pros and cons, of upgrading to 11.0.

http://www.hp.com/visualize/programs/hpux11/tools/transt.htm

Berlene
http://www.mindspring.com/~bkherren/dobes/index.htm