Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perl 5.8.0 and DBD::Oracle 1.12 install on HPUX 11

Raymond Cordoni
Occasional Advisor

Perl 5.8.0 and DBD::Oracle 1.12 install on HPUX 11

I am trying to compile perl 5.8.0 from source on one HPUX 11 server (that has the HP ANSI C compiler) and copy the resulting perl install to another HPUX 11i server (that doesn't have the HP ANSI C compiler). The two HP servers are running different versions of Oracle - my source server is running Oracle 8.0.6 64bit and my target server is running Oracle 9.2.0 64bit. Amazingly, I got all this to work - but I have one problem that I don't know how to resolve. The problem is the DBD::Oracle install creates a shared library called Oracle.sl which is linked to "libclntsh.sl.1.0" instead of "libclntsh.sl". This means that when I copy perl to my target server, I have to copy libclntsh.sl.1.0 (which is Oracle 8.0.6 code) to the 64bit shared library directory of my Oracle 9.2.0 installation. Is there some way to get the make for DBD::Oracle 1.12 to use libclntsh.sl? This way my copying of perl would be independant of the Oracle release on the target machine. I do not know very much about make files, shared libraries, etc. I think the reason that Oracle.sl references libclntsh.sl.1.0 is because the "internal name" for libclntsh.sl is libclntsh.sl.1.0 on my source server. This is the way that the Oracle install creates it - so I don't want to mess with that.

Thanks
Ray Cordoni
2 REPLIES
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Perl 5.8.0 and DBD::Oracle 1.12 install on HPUX 11

go here https://www.beepz.com/personal/merijn/

and check out hot to properly build perl.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Raymond Cordoni
Occasional Advisor

Re: Perl 5.8.0 and DBD::Oracle 1.12 install on HPUX 11

Thanks Harry for the link. Lots of good information on this site - but it seems to be mostly about building perl using gcc. I didn't see anything about my specific problem.

Ray Cordoni