Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perl and statpack

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nicolas Dumeige
Esteemed Contributor

Perl and statpack

Hi all,

Just to get started : how do you get the stuff between two pattern for various file and process the output ?

I want to write a perl script wich take various Oracle statpack reports and produce a sum / average / top-bottom analysis of the waited events.

... or does anybody already have something alike ?

Thanks for help,

Nicolas
All different, all Unix
4 REPLIES
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Re: Perl and statpack

stuff between two patterns:

# perl -ne'/pat1/ .. /pat2/ and print'

or

# perl -ne'/pat1/ ... /pat2/ and print'

see 'man perlop' under 'range operators' for the difference between them.
I don't know about statpack, so your question is to vague for me in that respect.

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Nicolas,

why don't you take the information at source i.e.in the perfstat schema as yuo would have all the relevant data ?

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yeah.... use the source Luke! ask the data straight from the tables and have sql do the math for you.
Still, I appreciate that in several circumstances you just have the reports to work with.

Pike procura wrote, is it nice to use a 'range'. The thing to know about statspack is that the various regions are deleimited by a line starting with (in perl use anchor ^) a form-feed character (in perl special cased as \f) followed by a unique title.
So to just print the wait events you can use:

perl -ne '/^\fWai/.../^\fBac/ and print' sp.lst

In a procedure you probably will end up using something like:
while (<>) {
if (/^\fWa/.../^\fBac/) { # in the range?
s/,//g; #clean up large numbers
if (/(\d+)\s+(\d+)/) { #two numbers on the line?
$waits += $1;
$timeo += $2;
}
}
}
print "Total: $waits Waits, $timeo Timeouts\n";

hth,
Hein.

Nicolas Dumeige
Esteemed Contributor

Thank all for you help,