New Discussion юеВ

Re: Permissions (part II)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor

Permissions (part II)

Hi all,

Having just read the thread about permissions and /etc/logingroup, it occurred to me that I never set up the /etc/logingroup link on my system. Yet group membership is working as though it was there...

# ll /etc/logingroup
/etc/logingroup not found
# login sgillard
Password:
$ groups
users reflect dcsdb mwdeldev gcdev sms

The system is recently patched. Am I going crazy? All replies that help restore my sanity will be rewarded! But not until tomorrow, I'm going home :)

Thanks,
Steve
6 REPLIES 6

This is the confusing part!

Groups will indeed show you the list of all groups of which you are a member, but just try to write to a file owned by group 'sms'!

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The correct command is id, not groups. The groups command tells you which groups you are allowed to attain group privileges in, but it does NOT tell if you have that permission without using the newgrp command.

The id command shows you all the groups you have immediate privileges in. Without logingroup present (10.20 and earlier), id will show only one group (the default login group or if you use newgrp, the current group) while the groups command shows all the groups where you are listed and potential group privileges.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What version of the OS are you on? If I recall correctly, /etc/logingroups is just for releases prior to 11. In 11.X it is not needed.
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor
Solution

11.x no longer needs /etc/logingroup to get this behavior. Here's a related post: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x23d29200caded5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello

Use "id", not "groups". Id will show you the groups you can "newgrp" to.

Regards,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I'm running 11.0 so I take it /etc/logingroup is not needed (the id command shows the same group list).

My problem then is with the group(4) man page which still goes on like logingroup is used. I'll take a look for some patches...

Cheers,
Steve