Operating System - HP-UX
1752290 Members
4474 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Persistent bindings in HP Unix Server

Tan Gaik Tong

Persistent bindings in HP Unix Server

I have a HBA card model HP Tachyon TL/TS Fibre Channel Mass Storage Adapter and how i implement a persistent bindings in my HP Unix Server.
Server detail: HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800
4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

HP-UX 11.00 is out of support - you do know that don't you?

You can't implement 'persistent binding' on HP-UX - 'persistent binding' is generally something people do on Windows cos the device addresses change evry time they reboot. This doesn't happen on HP-UX as (up to 11.23 anyway) device special files are based on hardware paths which in turn are based on the FCIDs of the storage - generally the only thing that will make a device 'move' to another address on HP-UX is changing the domain ID of the switch, or moving the storage to another port on the switch.

Why do you think you need to implement persistent binding?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Tan Gaik Tong

thanks for the information.
what i mean is configure a persistent bindings in HP Unix Server.

we faced backup fail problem after 2 or 3 backup from either unix server or window server. we are use veritas netbackup 5.1 .after checking with symantec support, they said was no their issue. it may be a hardware issue, persistent bindings. (we are still solved it)

we are getting some error some information
(Refer below for event viewer error Log
GetTapeParameters() failed on drive IBMULTRIUM-TD21 (device 1, \\.\Tape1): The requested resource is in use.

also, pls advice how to disable TUR(TEST UNIT READY )in HP UNIX server.

I think you're taking the advice from Symantec support too literally - 'configure peristent binding and prevent TURs' is pretty standard advice from backup soffwtare vendors for the Windows platform - you can't necessarily apply that to HP-UX.

As I said before - there is no such thing as configuring persistent binding on HP-UX. If your tape device number keeps changing (i.e. when you run 'ioscan -funC tape' the device was say /dev/rmt/1mn and its now /dev/rmt/5mn or similar, but nothing in the SAN is changing then the problem is probably related to the IBM tape driver (atdd) which I would imagine you are using if you are using an IBM tape unit. If this is the case, you need to speak to IBM for resolution of the problem (I have seen cases where the rather poor startup scripts provided by IBM for their atdd driver would generate new device files after every reboot).

If the device files aren't changing across reboots, you don't have this issue so can ignore it completely.

With regards to Test Unit Ready (TURs), HP-UX doesn't tend to generate these in the same way that Windows does, so it might not be an issue. If you were using a non-IBM tape drive that used the stape driver rather than the IBM atdd driver I's tell you to install patch PHKL_35993 and set the kernel parameter st_san_safe to 1. I don't know if IBM have an equivalent of this - you'll have to ask them.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Tan Gaik Tong

Thank for below information.