Operating System - VMware
1748011 Members
5051 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Planning server infrastructure when hosting duplicated web-product over multiple servers

zirocool

Planning server infrastructure when hosting duplicated web-product over multiple servers

Hi, I don't know if this is the right forum for this but because I ask about VMware maybe you'll be able to help me.

We have a web-application product that we sell to companies that is hosted at our servers. The product contains couple of web applications, windows services and SQL server db. Right now we have only one client that uses our product. We have two servers - one for the web apps and services and other for the db.

In order to add the product to another client, we have to 'duplicate' all the apps and db and run in separately.

As we started expanding and some companies will require more server power then others, I need to plan the servers infrastructure.

Having two servers for each client sounds ridiculous. Hosting costs will be huge. What will happen when I'll have 10 clients? And probably some servers will take more power than others, leaving servers using 30% from their capacity while others use 70%.

One thing I really care about is separating the DB from each product so in case of server compromise, only one db will be at risk.

So... I thought about Virtual Machines... Does it sounds right? Do I need two super servers to hold virtual machine instances? (one for web and other for db?) What about Load balancing / etc..? Will it require more maintenance time only because I use virtual machines? Are there any hardware recommendations?

Any help will be appreciated

Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Re: Planning server infrastructure when hosting duplicated web-product over multiple servers

Hi zirocool,

The solution you are looking matches for cloud solution, right now you have only one client which might feel like it is a huge investment, but as you stated future expansion definitely you need more robust solution. My suggestion is to get touch with HP representatives who can help you to design the solution.

As per the maintenance concerned whether it is physical servers or virtual environment still you have to go with it, but it is easy to maintain in virtual environment than physical servers.

regards,
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Planning server infrastructure when hosting duplicated web-product over multiple servers

That's a lot of what VMware does with vSphere and then onto vCloud.

A vSphere cluster is built from a number of hosts (or super servers) as you call them. These will hook onto some kind of common storage (iSCSI, Fiber) to provide for High Availability using vMotion.

We run over 200 servers on 4 x BL465c G7 servers. A lot of those are low usage servers, but amongst those are DB servers, Web Servers etc. The virtual servers can be multi-cpu.

You would actually align the Web / DB Servers for a user on the same host using affinity rules rather than all DB server son one host. That way the load gets more balanced and the network traffic can be kept on the one host.

As the HP poster suggested, you may want to consider investing in some professional services to help you design this.
zirocool

Hi,
thanks for your response.

how can I get in touch with HP representative to talk about server specs and design ?

Thanks
Jags_21
HPE Pro

The below URL should help you in reaching HP sales team.

http://www.hp.com/sbso/assist/index.html
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo