1752751 Members
5073 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Please help: Netserver installation problems

Alex Panagides

Please help: Netserver installation problems

Hello,

My company just made a purchase of 9 LC2000 netservers (1Gb RAM, 4 x 9Gb (10k RPM) w/ RAID 5 using NetRAID 1Si.

We are attempting to install Debian 2.2 (potato) w/ 2.2.17 kernel.

We run into two strange problems:

1) When setting a partition to more than about 10Gb the formatting (mke2fs) locks the machine.

2) We then decided to make a number of smaller partitions of around 6 Gb. This enabled us to format. But during the installation the computer suddenly locked up. On another occasion it locked up on the first reboot fsck.

Combined we have installed literally hundreds of Linux installations on all types of Intel boxes. These problems have us stumped and nervous about out investment. My hope is that there is some hardware bios configuration that will end our problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alex Panagides
Inova Brazil

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Please help: Netserver installation problems

Alex,
a few notes off key :
1) The root partition is not supported by RedHat on a RAID controller.
2) HP supports only RedHat on their servers

On the more general side, make sure you have the latest firmware on your RAID controller and the NetServer itself.

I don't have an answer for this issue, I'm interested if you find a solution. I have a similar situations the primary differance is I'm using a HP-E800 Netserver with the D2140 RAID controller. I'm also using RH7.0, which is a bit out of character for me to use a, .0, version. If you get a resolution to you're request I would appreciate a response and I'll do likewise! As yourself, I have a ton of UNIX experince, back to HP-UX 6.5 and AT&T 3B2's, plus some SCO/AIX/ and a little Sun. The comment that comes to mine is: "The same but Different"
www.endcorp.com "Only way to guarantee of doing nothing wrong is to do nothing at all" Grace Hopper

I was able to properly install the NetRaid 1si with Linux 7.0 on an E800. The only thing I can attribute this to is booting off the LINUX CD versus using the floppy boot disk. It then found the proper AMIRAID driver for the 1Si controller and is working GREAT! Now if I could get the DAT-24i to be seen on the internal scsi control.
www.endcorp.com "Only way to guarantee of doing nothing wrong is to do nothing at all" Grace Hopper