Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PostgreSQL error

Russell.Wood
Frequent Advisor

PostgreSQL error

Hi All,

When I try to connect to a PostgreSQL database running locally using PHP I get the following error:

"Warning: pg_connect() [function.pg-connect]: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not get socket error status: No such file or directory in <script>"

The error that appears in the postgresql log is:

"LOG: incomplete startup packet"

I can connect to the database using pgAdmin III.

I have tried to connect to the database locally and via TCP/IP. I can connect locally using psql command.

Any advise is appreciated.
5 REPLIES
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: PostgreSQL error

Not a postgres expert here but are you sure your networking information is correct ? Is your database listener running and listening to the port your PHP application is trying to access to ?

Yes. As I said, I can connect to it from my PC using pgAdmin (and telnet) plus I can connect locally with psql (like sqlplus for the Oracle folk). It's only when PHP connects it gets the strange error.
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Russell,

Check this forum:

http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/pg-connect-unable-to-connect-to-postgresql-server-48639.html

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Russell.Wood
Frequent Advisor

Like I said. I'm able to connect to it via TCP/IP and locally.
Marcel S. Gongora
Occasional Visitor

Hello Russell.Wood,
I have exactly the same problem and after trying many solutions, I came to the conclusion that the problem is the PHP module for postgre.
I hosted my website on another server with Debian and everything seems to work. In this test the web application connects to the POSTGRE on HP-UX.
I tested with the PHP of the HP-UX Apache-based Web Server version B.2.2.8.04 and B.2.0.59.02.
I trying with POSTGRE 8.1.17 compiled by myself, 8.2.5 and 8.3.7 both binary from iexpress DVD.
Who else can I do to solve this problem??