New Discussion юеВ

Postscript error

SOLVED
Go to solution
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Postscript error

Hi all,
probably not HP-related, but maybe someone faced this problem before.
I have an i386 system with redhat 9 installed, since all the genetic analysis software I had to run was available only on linux (at the beginning, I tried to install it all on an HP-UX sys).
One of these applications (xmgr) opens an X11 window with a graph, that should be printed out as postscript file (or directly printed).
One month ago the file came out correctly: now inside the file there is a Postcript error - I am sure it is a language error, since nor Adobe Acrobat, nor ghostview, nor a postscript enabled printer can manage it.
The software hasn't changed in the last month, the only things that have changed are:
1) All new releases and patches from the redhat site have been downloaded
2) A new print queue has been installed
I really don't know how to manage this problem.
Has anybody faced this before ?
I have the same behaviour on another PC with the same "patch-level" of the redhat 9 OS installed.

Thank you

Enrico
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Postscript error

I have recently run into a few serious problems where someone used the automatic update features of Red Hat unwisely. It is very useful but can be dangerous.

With this specific issue, it might be worth posting the error you get. Can you view the file with anything at all?

You might try using a text editor to lok at the file, you might find something obvious.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

As a brief follow-up,
with Adobe Acrobat I obtain:
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: 0,000000 ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

the string "0,000000" is present once in the line
/Pat0 { 0,000000 setgray } def

and three times in the line
0,000000 0,000000 0,000000 setrgbcolor

Thank you for your help

Enrico

enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Solved, thank you Mark

Changing the "," in "." solved the problem.
Now I am at home and I cannot work on the machine directly, but probably unsetting the LANG variable in the script that launches the program there will be no need to do the modifications in the PS file by hand.

Thank you

Enrico