1751866 Members
5533 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Postscript

Oliver Zimmermann
Occasional Advisor

Postscript

Does anybody know of a program to edit a postscript-file graphically or to convert it into another format?
Thanks!
Agitate, Educate, Liberate !
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Kollig
Trusted Contributor

You can convert it to another format using ghostscript (gs) or programs which uses ghostscript, e.g. ps2pdf.

(A nice program is Adobe's Acrobat. With this program you can read postscript-files, convert them to pdf and the pdf-files you can edit graphically.)

Bye, Thomas
Oliver Zimmermann
Occasional Advisor

Well, I have the Adobe Acrobat 4.05, but this one does not read PostScript file and editing is probably to included into the free version. How do you use the Reader?
Agitate, Educate, Liberate !
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Adobe Acrobat Reader displays .pdf files pure and simple. The ps2pdf utility is a simple command line converter to move a postscript formatted file to .pdf format. Neither one is going to allow you to do any editing though. Adobe is the company that owns the rights to both of these formats. They have many different applications and I'm quite sure they have something that will suit your needs. I suggest you take a look at http://www.adobe.com/products/main.html at get an idea of what you might need. I would further suggest that you give them a call so you can narrow it down and get specifics regarding what platform support they have. It has been a long time since I've done business with them, but my previous impressions have always been positive. They are definitely a class outfit.
Thomas Kollig
Trusted Contributor

We Adobe Acrobat 4.05, too. To convert files you need Acrobat Destiller. I don't know if there is an unix version of these programs. We have it for windows and it is non-free :-[

Bye, Thomas