Operating System - Microsoft
1748163 Members
3888 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Power Light Blinking

Linda Schroeder

Power Light Blinking

Hurricane Hanna knocked our power out for a few hours causing me a headache.

I turned off the computer on Friday night because I knew the storm was coming and didn't want to have problems. The computer is plugged into a surge protector. After the electric came back on the power light is blinking I have tried unplugging, holding the light/start button in for 30 seconds, things I found on another link from this site. I have the HP Pavillion a518x. I need help on "waking this computer up" Please if anyone knows, I'd appreciate the help.
Linda
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Linda:

Unfortunately, your power supply is now probably 'toast'. Surge suppressors are usually not up to the task of defending against lightning. Next time unplug the computer (and the surge suppressor) from the wall before the storm hits.

Here is a link to the procedure you should follow to isolate the problem:

http://tinyurl.com/5fn3tj

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Linda Schroeder

Please confirm for me that this does not mean that I have lost everything on my computer? Can I replace the power supply internally? I think the answer to both questions is yes, but please tell me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the link and support.

Linda
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

You should not have lost any data on your hard disk drive. The power supply is replaceable. I suggest you follow the instructions on the link I sent previously to determine definitively whether the power supply is good or bad.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Linda Schroeder

Thanks for all your support, I think I have ruled it the power box, atleast that is what I am going to try first. Tried all the other things the site listed, no luck.

This is a great site, thanks again for the help.
Nishan Bandara
Advisor

Linda,
When I look at the symptoms youâ ve wrote, you may need to replace the motherboard as well.
Prepare for that as well. It may cost you little bitâ ¦
But you will never lose your data for sure, I recommending you to go for a HP authorize service provider
Linda Schroeder

Thanks Nishan,

My son's friend builds computers and is going to help me to custom build a computer. We are hoping the I did not loose the hard drive since quickbooks is on this computer. I have had no luck trying any suggestions previously mentioned and I just can't seem to figure out how to wake the computer up.

Thanks Again to all who responded!
Linda

replace the power supply and the computer should work fine