108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Presario 1210 Notebook Clean Install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brad Pridemore
Occasional Contributor

Presario 1210 Notebook Clean Install

Currently (had) W95 OS installed. Deleted partitions and was upgrading to W98.(assumed XP would not run) Bootable cd copies files. When "starting windows" screen appears computer stays at that screen and goes no further. Using ME Bootdisk. I do not have any original software and or drivers. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Brad,

I can see at least one small problem with what you are trying to do. Your boot disks are not going to be compatible with the version of Windoze you are trying to install.

If you can't manage to make a DOS boot disk with CDROM drivers on your own, then you can always go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get the correct stuff to make a good set of boot disks for Win98. I would suggest getting enough to put a good version of fdisk, scandisk, and format on there as well, but that is totally up to you.

A word or two of advice:
I would strongly suggest that you go through a thorough fdisk (including rebuilding the MBR) prior to attempting the load of the new OS. It's always best to start a project such as this with a perfectly clean slate. Also, if you are really interested in putting WinXP on the machine, you may want to search around for a BIOS upgrade for the machine. There may actually be one that will let that hardware support it. Before you do, however, think about the system speed you will be getting with the MUCH fatter OS on the machine. It may not be worth it in the long run.

Let us know if this works or if you need more assistance.

Good luck!
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Brad Pridemore_1
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate your help. I have installed W98 and after a super long search have located and installed the drivers for both the monitor and the audio.(No errors in device manager).
One final problem (I hope). This computer (Presario 1210) does not detect any modem installed, and I have no modem tab in the device manager. I have tried several drivers and can find none that work. How do I find out which modem is installed, so I can determine which driver is needed? Is there some special setup neded to install a modem on this machine.

Shashi_2

There are no modem drivers in the Compaq website for download. However you can download the modem drivers for Presario 1210 from the following website:

http://www.modem-drivers.com/drivers/17/17645.htm

Username: driver
password: all
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Before try in Control-Panel ->icon Modem -> Diagnostic (all port). Try also in Control-Panel -> New-Hardare -> New-component (automatic-research or Manual).
Bye
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Driver for W95/W98
http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/uploads7/1194.html
(user and password like writed Shashi)
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Brad,

I am glad to see that the advice you have received here seems to have helped you.

I might suggest that you consider assigning some of these fine folks some points to their answers to show your appreciation.

It is a good way to say THANKS and to assure that you get prompt assistance in the future.

Just a thought...
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855