7187 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Print Server / Cluster on Red Hat ES / AS 3.0

Sandeep Sanjao Figer
Frequent Advisor

Print Server / Cluster on Red Hat ES / AS 3.0

Hi,

Does anyone have any detail steps / documentation for setting up Red Hat Linux ES / AS ver 3.0 as print server & print cluster? Also, is there any benefits moving to Linux based printing solutions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sandy
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: Print Server / Cluster on Red Hat ES / AS 3.0

For printing you want to read the Cups documentation. Start by starting the cups server (service cups start;chkconfig cups on) and pointing a browser at http://:631/ (assuming no firewall issues).

If you're wanting to print from Windows based workstations, you'll also need to read some Samba documentation on how to share printers. Start both Samba and Swat (service smb start;service swat start;chkconfig smb on), then point your browser at http://:901/ for more.

But both of these are very easy.

As you've not said what sort of platform you're moving from, it's hard to make a comparison for benifits.

I do know that at all times I've used a Linux box as a printer spool server, I've never had any major issues.

As for the clustering side of this, what were you wanting to use as the cluster software? The RedHat HA stuff, or were you looking at the HP clustered solutions?
One long-haired git at your service...
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

My apologies, that should be 'chkconfig swat on', not 'service swat start'.
Sandeep Sanjao Figer
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

We have existing windows 2000 based 2 node print clutsers & in future would like to move on to Linux based solutions. All my windows / unix client would than need to print of this new Linux server. I wanted to know how to configure Print server on linux & if I could migrate existing windows print servers / print ques to the linux box..

Regards,
Sandy
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Yes, you could use Samba+Cups on a Linux box to the same end. As for migrating, in particular users and administrative purposes, I've not much experience.

Start by setting up Samba and Cups, and we'll work from there.