Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print at remote location from a telnet session

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Print at remote location from a telnet session

We are starting to manufacture in Pennsylvania and Nicaragua, and we need to print manufacturing docs at those locations. What methods are available to print to a printer attached to LPT1 on a PC which has one of our apps running from a telent session? I would like to have some way of selecting a printer from the apps printer selection, which currently points to printers setup on our L1000.

Screen prints are messy and when I ftp the files and try to print them from a PC based word processor it is alot of work to format them. They have PCs and an AS400. Any ideas?

rdarling@southwickclothing.com
3 REPLIES
Herve BRANGIER
Respected Contributor

Re: Print at remote location from a telnet session

Hi,

Just on idea. If I understand you need to print
from your L1000 to a PC (Windows) client. When
I want to do that I share my printer (on my PC)
and print using smbclient command.
For example if my PC's IP @ is 192.168.1.2 and
my printer's shared name is pc_print I use :

smblient \\\\192.168.1.2\\pc_print -N -P
and at prompt I use : print file_name.

If your applications are designed to use unix
printers queues, I think it's possible to use
this command in a filter.

(smbclient is the client part of samba product)

Herve

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Here's a thread that mentions several other software pacakages you can use. SAMBA is a good option, but requires a bit of setting it up. These others tend to be quicker and easier....and since distance to the other may be an issue..you may want to consider 'quick & easy' options:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xa3aa14a24fd1d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

/rcw
Garry Ferguson
Frequent Advisor

We use a product called Go-Global from Graphon
- www.graphon.com. It is not free. It has a server end and client end on the PC. It allows a full desktop - from CDE login onwards, or just a telnet session to be displayed on the PC. Printing would have to
be instigated from the PC client end I think.
Its main strength is it uses its own protocol and is VERY low bandwidth. Unlike X displays!
Garry Ferguson