6271 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printer tray settings in UNIX

Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Printer tray settings in UNIX

Hi,

I have one laser jet printer using the modelscript net_lj4250. User want to user tray1 for letter head and tray 3 for Plain (A4). I know this can be set via command "-o mtype" option, but application team don't want to do that in application side.

How can it do in UNIX side? Do we need to edit in model.orig file? I just had a look on it, too complicated.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and help.
Regards
Shibin
3 REPLIES 3
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Check below thread,

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1082229
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

That one didn't help much. I know that option. But how to & where to implement, if a print request come from application ?
Regards
Shibin
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

you could implement multiple printers, one which each tray as it's default.

in that case, the application would need to route it to the appropriate printer (based on paper needed.

"I know this can be set via command "-o mtype" option, but application team don't want to do that in application side."

what the "application team" wants, versus how it works may be two different things.

I assume the the application would be the only point at which the paper selection is known.

If that's the case, the application is going to require work anyway, either to route to the appropriate printer w/ the correct defaults, or to include the "-o mtype".

I don't see any information that would allow you to determine the papertype once "lp" has the print request.