7884 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printing issue in HP-UX

Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all

@ Dennis, that was just an example. It is still happening, even yesterday night too changed. I need to check, whether any auditing is on or not.

@ Alzhy. Permission is correct. As I mentioned earlier, there was a case opened with HP Response Center, escalated several time, but nothing came out to identify, how it changed, who changed etc.

Surprisingly, none of the history file have clue. I am thinking to write some script to sniff, whenever anybody issues chown command, to capture. Let me see, how can I make it.

Is there any ideas ?
Regards
Shibin
INH
Regular Advisor

Hello Shibin,

file permission should be 644 and change the ownership to lp:lp as in below example.

-rw-r--r-- 1 lp lp 20916 Feb 9 2006 /var/spool/lp/outputq

Give a try .. good luck

Regards,
INH
Knowledge is power
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Thanks INH. Let's see, how it goes :)
Regards
Shibin
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Perhaps I have not looked at your problem enough...but. Could there be a standard lp process that does this? I see this file is some type of database that updates when a print job happens. Maybe it updates the ownership along with the time? It looks like it is part of printing. I see the group ownership of the file should normally be "lp". Perhaps there is a chown command buried somewhere that makes sure the ownership of this outputq is "properly" set?

If it is not in a script, perhaps it is buried in a C compiled binary of something that works with lp, like a menu option in SAM.

Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Thanks Steve. Some good thoughts. I am not yet figured out, how I can find it out the permission change.

Audit is not on in this system. I am afraid to turn it on.

As of today, permission looks ok. I will update, whenever I see any changes.
Regards
Shibin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>how I can find it out the permission change.
>Audit is not on in this system.

Only though auditing. Or possibly using tusc to trace lpsched.
INH
Regular Advisor

Shibin,
Give a try for this when that chnage happening. Probably you may increase time if unsure about permission chnage time

Try and capture ps -efHx listing
$export UNIX95=1
$while true; do ps ├в efHx > /tmp/ps.`date -u +%d%h%m%H%M` ; sleep 60 ; done

HTH

Regards,
INH
Knowledge is power
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Let me monitor for one or two weeks, then will update.
Regards
Shibin
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

I highly doubt this is it. It won't hurt to check. Look in the files in /etc/lp/interface. I know I have had to update these files now and then to shang-hai a print job, modify it, then send it out to a different application.

I'm only saying to run one command and forget about it:

grep -ilE "chown|chgrp" /etc/lp/interface/*

Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

We have print queue replication script running from our print server to all production / dev / test servers on Saturday and Sunday. Last Saturday, outputq permission (group) changed to sapsys after the replication. We changed it back to lp but on sunday, there was no issue after replication. So, it is like intermittent issue.

I will have to look at the script now. But it is surprising, only one host having issue and rest are ok.

@ Dennis, I think there is no tusc in the system. How to get it and how to use this ?
Regards
Shibin