Pro*C Install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Pro*C Install

Hi All,

I've got Oracle 9i running on rx4640, hpux 11.23

Can anyone give me any documents on how to install Pro*C on my system?

Is the software depot downloadable from web? If yes, can anyone give me the links.

Regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
11 REPLIES 11
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Pro*C Install

Hi Sandy:

The C/aCC+ compiler is a purchaseable product:

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B9007AA

An evaulation copy is available, though:

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B9007AAEVAL

Installation is nothing more than a 'swinstall' session.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

Is this Pro*C is included in the C/aCC+ compiler?? What if I have HP ANSI/C Compiler? Is this product is also has Pro*C in it?

regards,
Sandy
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor
Solution

Sandy,

Pro*C is part of the Oracle distribution, but does not install as part of the Enterprise Edition installation. Start the Oracle installer, select custom installation, look for developer tools (not sure the exact name) and drill down for Pro*C.

You will also need to HP C compiler, but Pro*C is an Oracle product.

Patti
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

Pro*C is a C pre-compiler that is part of Oracle. It may not be installed by default, so you'll have re-run the Oracle installer with a custom install. The component you'll want is the "Oracle 9i Development Kit". And if you've alread installed any Oracle patch sets or CPU's, you'll want to re-install them after installing a new Oracle component.

And, as I said, Pro*C is just a pre-compiler; it takes some custom Oracle marco-looking tags and generates the (ugly) C code required to use the Oracle OCI. But you will still need a back-end C compiler. I'd strongly recommend purchasing the HP ANSI-C compiler, but it is not strictly necessary. You can use the bundled C compiler on the system. If you can find it, you might be able to use the gcc compiler as well, but I've never tried this with Pro*C.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. If I re-run the oracle installer, will it affect my current database? And for patching, is it necessary to re-patch the oracle again?

regards,
Sandy
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

Hey

What would you exactly do? Have you already Oracle installed e.g. 9i and now you would install 10g and upgrade your db to 10g? If yes, you have to upgrade your instance also. follow the instrunction of the patch.

Regards
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Actually my application guy wanted to create an email notification and they required pro*c installed, which is not for now. I don't want to upgrade the oracle. Just wanted to install the pro*c.

Regards,
Sandy
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

Hey

check this metalink article for the hpux patches which are required. Note:169706.1

I would do it like that

1.DB Backup
2.Shutdown DB
3.Install Pro*c
4.startup db

I have never done this before.

Regards
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

If you install the Oracle development tools then re-install the Oracle patch set, you won't have to re-patch the Oracle databases. Its just that, when installing a new Oracle component, all of the Oracle binaries in the same ORACLE_HOME should be of the same 9.2.0.X version. Pro*C might work anyway without re-installing the patch, but I'd suggest doing it because there probably are some Pro*C bugs that got patched.

However, it just occured to me, the Oracle patch installation might not run if you have running databases against the ORACLE_HOME, even if the components that you are patching have nothing to do with any running binaries.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing