Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Downloading RH 7.2 Alpha ISO's

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Problem Downloading RH 7.2 Alpha ISO's

I've recently obtained a DEC Personal Workstation 500a Alpha box, and I'm all on fire to get Red Hat installed on the beastie....

I've found the ftp site to D/L from, and I log on anonymous to grab the ISO's.

I have a problem though...

I D/L the ISO (using BIN mode of course!) and:
1. The d/l does not "terminate" normally. Instead of getting the normal FTP message at the end of the download, I get a message saying that the remote server temintated the connection.

Viz:
Connection closed by remote host.
ftp> bye

2. Though I get what appears to be the complete byte count - not only can I not burn the ISO, I cannot even view it using a hex editor as the file appears to be "corrupted"

I am attempting to d/l the ISO's to a W2k box and burn them to CD. Is there something special I need to know in order to d/l Alpha ISO images?

I know that Alpha files are "different" from M$ files, but why would the *iso* be so totally different? (an ISO, is an ISO, right??)

Any help would be appreciated!

Jim