Operating System - HP-UX
1753424 Members
4921 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem in UTL_FILE generation

Problem in UTL_FILE generation

hi,

We r using HP-UX,while writing PL/SQL script using UTL_FILE Utilities, i got write file permission error at the time of *.LST file generation. This file could be generated by Oracle in the specified directory.
I want what r all the permissions needed by Oracle User to generate lst file.
Error is
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-29285: file write error
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_FILE", line 18
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_FILE", line 993
ORA-06512: at line 180
5 REPLIES 5
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem in UTL_FILE generation

You need to add the directory that you're writing to into your init.ora file.

An example might be:

utl_file_dir=/mydir/data/log/outdir

Then, after putting this in, you need to restart your database ( this is a good thing for security reasons).

Now make sure that the user that owns and runs the database (unless you've changed it's probably "oracle") has rwx access to the directory that you gave.

Your function(s) should start writing at that point.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Dude, feedback.

Did that fix your problem?
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett

hi,

I checked ora file, it is utl_file_dir=* only so i think it have all permissions. Now i found out problem, Let i explain clearly.
We have two application servers and one database server.Like IP is ...01,...02, & ...03 respectively. When users accessing any one of the appl(01 or 02) server at that time it generates lst file in database server(03). So appl server searches list file in own server it could not get that. In sql script, how i am mentioning the appl servers directory path in UTL_FILE directory path.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

The file will always be generated on the database server because this package runs on the database.

If you want to access it on the application servers, you will need to export it and access it using NFS on the two application servers.

hope this helps too!
kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)

hi,

I'm sorry, i dont have idea abt NFS, could u give the syntax for that plz.....