Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in X windows in Linux 7.3

Bindumadhava.V
Frequent Advisor

Problem in X windows in Linux 7.3

Hello,

I am facing the problem in X windows in Redhat 7.3 on Intel Chipset 845 onboard VGA card in Compaq EVO model. ( Driver - vesa generic ). It gets the login window and able to login and work. But moment we switch to virtual desktop..we can't revert it back to X window. It fails to X window.. That's all...

Any suggestions and work around for this problem...

Please help.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Bindumadhava.V
4 REPLIES
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

Re: Problem in X windows in Linux 7.3

Hi,
The problem is not fully clear to me, but there are some tips that may help anyway:

- you can use the ctr-alt-functionkey combinations to switch between text and graphical screens:
* ctrl-alt F1-F4 are four textscreens
* ctrl-alt F7 is the GUI
* ctrl-alt F8 is the (optional) GUI on another machine

- you can use /usr/X11R6/bin/Xconfigurator to configure videocard, display and resolution.

Goodluck
Donald
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Bindumadhava.V
Frequent Advisor

Hi Donald,

Thanks for the Reply,

We have already tried all the settings you mentioned. But normally with X windows, it will work properly, provided if we don't switch to virutal desktops i.e ctrl-alt F1-F4 & ctrl-alt F7
.So any idea ...? And also if I put external AGP card , it works fine.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Bindumadhav.
I_M
Honored Contributor

Hi

What is the error message, when the X Window die?
Check /var/log/messages or /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

good luck
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

Maybe your problem has something to do with http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xff04543254bfd611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

Just a thought....
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!