Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in starting XVFB

Umesh_14
Occasional Visitor

Problem in starting XVFB

Hi All,

I am having two machines one with headless Linux Server (Red Hat 9.0) and another with Windows 2000 client.
I would like to execute a graphic based java program which resides in headless linux machine.
I used "putty's - ssh" to access the linux machine from windows 2000.

Putty Link : http://putty.bhni.net/download.html

I tried with these,

- removed the monitor, keyboard and mouse from the Linux Server.

- changed the runlevel from 5 to 3 ie.made the XServer stopped using "telinit 3" command.

- tried to start XVFB which comes with the Red Hat 9.0 with the following command

" Xvfb :0 -screen 0 1024x768x16 & "

Got these errors
-----
Error : Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
-----

I assume that it could not init the fonts alone but, XVFB is running. So, i tried to
execute a Graphic based Java program. But, i got the following errors

--------
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using '192.168.1.32:0.0'
as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:134)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:141)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.createGraphics(BufferedImage.java:1041)
at JavaHeadless.main(JavaHeadless.java:8)
--------

Can anyone help me to start XVFB ?

any help is appreciated.

Thank in Advance
Umesh
3 REPLIES
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Problem in starting XVFB

Hi,

Have you entered and xhost + to the server you are trying to get onto/from. That may be why the java is failing, and could also point to your Xvfb problems.

HTH

regards

Matt
Umesh_14
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Palmer,

Yes, i tried this command from the windows machine thru putty
xhost +192.168.1.32

but i got the following error
xhost: unable to open
display "192.168.1.32:0.0"

the above specified ip is my client's.
any DISPLAY setting is needed ?

Thanks in Advance
Umesh
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

as far as I am aware, I believe that messages with regards to DISPLAY issues, (if the $DISPLAY env variable is set) are normally down to things like xhost, I dont really know more than that I am afraid. Are you using X11 over ssh??