1753319 Members
6163 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem installing Fedora Core 5 on HP Pavillion xz275

Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

Problem installing Fedora Core 5 on HP Pavillion xz275

When I boot to the install CD, there seems to be a problem reading the disc. When I try to start the install, all I get is "Could not find kernel image: linux." In addition, the graphic is messed up and the "help" keys don't work. If I type "vmlinuz" at the install prompt, it starts to load but crashes after a few seconds.

I was able to install SuSE 10.1 and FC3 on this machine, and I've used the same FC5 discs (2 sets) to install FC5 on two other machines.

Is there some work-around for this quirk?
#@%!! Windows!
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You should start a media check if possible, or re-download your cd image. Also use testmem just in case.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

I did a media check on another computer, which also checks the md5sums. All the discs passed except the add-on disc, I'm not using. This is probably an administrative error since it DOES match the sums posted on the web page. Of course, I'm not getting far enough to even think of using that disc.

I'm running memtest again. (I can type "memtest" at the prompt and it will load and run.) I haven't seen any errors after 20+ minutes.

If I can find my adapter, I guess I could put the laptop drive in a desktop, install the OS, and put the drive back in the laptop. I've done it before on a Centex laptop.
#@%!! Windows!
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

I did a media check on another computer, which also checks the md5sums. All the discs passed except the add-on disc, I'm not using. This is probably an administrative error since it DOES match the sums posted on the web page. Of course, I'm not getting far enough to even think of using that disc.I'm running memtest again. (I can type "memtest" at the prompt and it will load and run.) I haven't seen any errors after 20+ minutes.If I can find my adapter, I guess I could put the laptop drive in a desktop, install the OS, and put the drive back in the laptop. I've done it before on a Centex laptop.
#@%!! Windows!
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

Oops. It said it didn't post the first reply so I tried again. Now both are here.
#@%!! Windows!
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

I've had a similar problem in the past. The only solutions are to experiment with removing things like PC-CARDS and USB devices during the install, and to experiment with the boot-time command-line options.

The only other time I had this with my Pavillion, a BIOS update sorted it out.
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

FYI:

I seem to have found an answer on the Fedora site. Several other people are having the same problem with several other brands of laptops.

Two people mentioned a work-around of typing "vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img" at the boot prompt, and that seems to be working for me.

I'd tried something to that effect myself, but either got the syntax wrong or it was full of typos. Probably the latter.

Even knowing what to type, it took me four tries to get it right. :(
#@%!! Windows!
Steve_160
Frequent Advisor

See above. (I'm having a little trouble getting the hang of this forum. Sorry.)
#@%!! Windows!