Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Automatically Directing Users to Port 443

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Problem with Automatically Directing Users to Port 443

I am trying to have users who log into a webserver be automatically redirected to a secure port.did Here is where I am at:

1. I installed the OS from scratch, and loaded the bundled Apache server with the mod_ssl package.
INFO: Red Hat Linux 8.0
Apache 2.0.40
OpenSSL 0.9.6

2. I tested connectivity to ports 80 and 443, and both came back with the test page.

3. I want to achieve an automatic redirection to port 443, so I added the following to the
VirtualHost section of the httpd.conf file -

ServerName example.com
ServerAdmin webmaster@example.com
DocumentRoot /www
Redirect / https://example.com/

ServerName example.com
ServerAdmin webmaster@example.com
DocumentRoot /www

SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/ca-bundle.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile
/usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key
SSLCertificateChainFile
/usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown

4. The Apache server (version 2.0.40 bundled with Red Hat 8.0 along with mod_ssl) did not start with the above information added. THe error message that appeared in the error_log
file was -
Failed to configure CA certificate chain!

5. After I removed the above text, I was able to restart the server successfully.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
4 REPLIES
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with Automatically Directing Users to Port 443

Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Did you use the same certificates in the working config? The error seems to indicate a problem with the certs.

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

I am almost positive that I did. Just to be sure, what procedure do you follow to create the certificates? The one that I went by is on the www.modssl.org website. Thanks.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Andrew,

I don't use modssl, but you might want into the generic openssl verify command to check if your certificates are good.

Greetings, Martin