New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with mondorescue 2.2.8 restore

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Problem with mondorescue 2.2.8 restore

Hi there --

I am trying to do a restore of an image to a workstation that recently had its hard drives replaced due to failure. The replacement drives are SAS types, and did not have any filesystems formatted on them when they were installed on the workstation. The .iso files total fourteen in number and each are about 650 megabytes. When I insert the first CD into the workstation's DVD/RW drive, the boot sequence commences but then hangs at the point where the message:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 236k freed

appears on-screen.

I let the system stay in that status for about five minutes before having to reboot the workstation. When an operating system CD is installed into the workstation, it is able to detect the harddrives without any difficulty.

What is going on here, and what can I do to correct it? Thanks.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
34 REPLIES 34
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor
Solution

Shalom,

mondorescue is not going to be able to detect the disk unless its the same type of disk that the system had when it was imaged.

The OS recognizes the hardware, mondorescue does not.

What you can do is:

Base OS install.

mount -o loop filename
From the iso files you should be able to extract restore information.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

Thanks for your reply. Extracting the files is one thing, but if I want to do the actual installation of all fourteen .iso files onto the system. It seems I would I need to take to accomplish the goal of restoring the workstation to its original configuration. After extracting the files, how can I do the restoration?

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

for the future you will want to edit /usr/sbin/mindi by editing the FORCE_MODS line to be

FORCE_MODS="diskdumplib diskdump mptbase mptscsi mptspi mptsas mptscsih ata_piix crc32 mii
pcnet32 sunrpc nfs nfs_acl lockd loop"

More than likely you do not have mptsas built into your initrd for mondo.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Do you have another machine that has the same distro and kernel version running, etc? One thing you could try, if you have a nearly identical setup, is to run mindi on that host to create an initrd with the necessary mptsas module. Then you could extract the 1st iso, add the new initrd, and recreate the iso. I know that is involved, but if you go the time...
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I've been trying to think of ways to attack this. I haven't had this specific issue because I always changed my mindi script to add more modules. I use it a alot for creating clones to virtual machines. Anyway, another thought I had was to boot from a live cd. Then you could create the filesystem on the sas drive. Next install mondorescue in the live environment. Then run mondorestore with the -i switch and point it to the iso. You should then be able to edit the disk portion to point to the new drive. You might need a rescue cd afterwards to fix grub. But I believe that would work.
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

I tried creating a mindi boot disk on a similar system with the additions to the FORCE_MODS line that were suggested in an earlier posting. I then created the mindi boot disk, and brought it to the system in question. The same hanging situation that I described in my original posting occurred with the mindi boot disk.

If I try booting with the livecd, am I doing an install of it onto the hard drive or am I simply running it in RAM, and doing the mondorestore from there?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

>> When an operating system CD is installed into the workstation, it is able to detect the harddrives without any difficulty.

What OS cd? Also what distro are you running (version number w/ update number)?
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

The OS cd is Fedora Core 2. The distro of Mondorescue is version 2.2.8.

I had one idea: boot the system with a Knoppix LiveCD, mount the hard drive devices, and do the install that way.

That does bring up another question: Assuming that Knoppix does not come with mondorescue, how can I install or run the restore CD's?

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I am going to do a test today to see what it would take to get this to work from a live cd. I do think there will still be an issue of the restored initrd not having the module to see the disk. So you will need a rescue cd. Let me see what I find out.