New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with mondorescue 2.2.8 restore

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

Thanks for your reply. I will be waiting in anticipation of your test results. Suffice it to say, your efforts in this regard are greatly appreciated.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Andrew,

I just want to clarify something. The OS the the workstation was running is FC2, correct?

Also, on the other host that you used mindo to create another boot iso, is that also FC2? If so can you logon to that box and see if you can modprobe mptsas? I am wondering if FC2 doesn't have that module.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Andrew,

I just want to clarify something. The OS the the workstation was running is FC2, correct?

Also, on the other host that you used mindo to create another boot iso, is that also FC2? If so can you logon to that box and see if you can modprobe mptsas? I am wondering if FC2 doesn't have that module.

Hi there --

The OS the workstation was running is indeed the FC2 distro.

Also, I ran the modprobe command on the other host, modprobe -l |grep mpt |more, and that particular one did not have the mptsas.ko module.

I found another workstation that did have the module, and I am running mindi on that system. Once that is done I will create the iso image, and try it on the problem workstation.

I will post the results as soon as I get them.

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Just don't forget to edit mindi on that host, or ad least run modprbe mptsas before making the image.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

All right. I got it to work with a live cd (for the most part). I am attaching a doc with the steps I took. It's not very detailed. I assume that you can follow it. If you have any questoins, just post them and I will try and help.

One issue I had is that I left a line in /etc/fstab that I did not create and restore during the mondorestore process. So I had to use the rescue cd to reboot and edit the file. But that is because I couldn't remember the root password. Other than that it came up fine. But I also wasn't restoring to a different disk type.

Good luck!
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

I began going through the procedure you sent, thanks by the way, and I ran into my first issue.

At the fdisk step, I identified the disk in question as /dev/sda. I ran the pvcreate, and vgcreate commands using the suggested syntax without issue.

When I got to the lvcreate command, the syntax that is shown returned an error indicating I needed to include the size of the logical volume, or -L argument in the command. When I ran the command with the -L argument, I specified the size at 271000 megabytes. The error message I got was there was not enough physical extents available.

Did I miss a step here?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Like I said, the doc does not have everystep. You should have used fdisk and created two primary partitions. The first one for /boot and the other for LVM. You also need to change the type of /dev/sda2 to LVM. That is 8e in fdisk. In the past I have had LVM issues if i forgot to change the type. Also when using lvcreate with -L you can use size notations to create then, like so:

lvcreate -n LogVol00 -L +2G VolGroup00

that will create a 2GiB lvol. Also, are you just creating a single large lvol? If so just run vgdisplay VolGroup00. Then look at the free pe line. Then use lvcreate with a -l instead and give it the free pe number from vgdisplay.
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

Sorry about my ignorance. I don't often create logical volumes on our Linux systems. Normally that honor is reserved for our HP-UX servers.

I'll pick up where we left off on Monday. Have a good weekend.

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

I went through the procedure this morning, and everything appeared to work fine until the reboot, or lack of it, took place.

When I did some further investigating, somehow everything got put on /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sda. I am positive that I typed everything in correctly. How this happened I do not know.

I am going to some additional work on my end, but I wante to see if you had any ideas? Thanks.

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I can only assume that you partitioned /dev/sdb, created the lvm structures, etc. and mounted it.

And since you don't have the correct module for your drive added to your initrd from the mondobackup, I would not expect it to boot. You will need to use an fc2 install cd and run linux rescue.