New Discussion юеВ

Problem with mondorescue 2.2.8 restore

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Re: Problem with mondorescue 2.2.8 restore

Hi there --

I tried several more times to recover the system without any success. I have no choice at this point than to rebuild the system from scratch.

After that is done I am going to have to rethink how the backups are done using mondo in order for this incident not to occur again.

Thanks anyway for your help.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Sorry it's not working. I wish I could be there, I really love challenges like this one.

If anything, just do a fresh load of fc2, and them load mondorescue. Then use mondorestore to restore all the users data. That should work fine. My suggestion would be to not use mondo to backup your whole machine. I only use it to backup the main system directories. Then I use normal backups for everything else.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

I posted the question as part of the mondo-devel users group, and one suggestion that was made was to use the following syntax at the boot prompt of the mondo restoration cd:

denymods=fdomain

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how would I go about determining the name of the kernel to enter at the prompt in conjunction with the above parameter?

Also, why would fdomain be causing the system to hang at freeing unused kernel memory?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

You shouldn't need to worry about the kernel. just type this at the boot.

nuke denymods=fdomain

I am not sure if that will work, but it's worth a shot.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

The nuke value at the boot prompt refers to the name of the kernel. If I knew the name of the kernel, I could insert that along with the denymods=fdomain argument.

I have a system that is the same model and operating system of the problem workstation. Is it possible to reference that system to get a clue to the name of the kernel?

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

You've lost me on that one. I have never typed a kernel name when using mondo. I usually use nuke or interactive. Have you tried running nuke denymods=fdomain?
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

I did try the nuke denymods=fdomain, and that is when I got confronted with the error indicating that mindi could not find a kernel with the name nuke.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

try

vmlinuz denymods=fdomain
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

I ended up rebuilding the workstation from scratch, and now comes the fun part: determining what needs to be done in order to prevent this incident from reoccurring.

Enclosed with this posting is a copy of the script that is used to create the .iso images.
The script in its current form creates the backups based on the filesystems of the workstation.

I had several ideas concerning the script, and the backup:

1. Going by your example, modify the mindi file, specifically the FORCE_MODS line, on all workstations to include the arguments:

FORCE_MODS="diskdumplib diskdump mptbase mptscsi mptspi mptsas mptscsih ata_piix crc32 mii pcnet32 sunrpc nfs nfs_acl lockd loop"

2. Adding a section to the script that will run mindi, and place the created boot files at the same NFS location where the iso images are located.

Besides or instead of the above, is there anything else that I should consider putting into the script?

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Andrew,

Send me your e-mail address. Send it to thouaeti_at_guerrillamailblock_dot_com.

That's a temporary address. It might be easier than using this thread.

Later,
Court