108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with swinstall

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Problem with swinstall

In one of my server, G60 and HP-UX 10.20, whenever I am giving swlist or swinstall or swremove it is giving the following error.

WARNING: Incomplete definition for the product "X11", beginning at line
8025. The following attributes are not defined:
filesets the filesets contained in the product

Can any one tell me which file need to be modified to get rid of this error message?

Thanks,
Sandip
Good Luck!!!
4 REPLIES 4
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Problem with swinstall

From Technical DB .. hope it helps ..

File structure modifications were introduced with the release of HP-UX 10.20, resulting in the reshuffling of some filesets and/or files from the X11 product to the Xserver product. Since some of the X11 files or filesets are part of the new Xserver product, the previous 10.xx product could not be completely removed from the system during the installation process. As the Xserver product is installed, it finishes removing the files/filesets from the system leaving an empty 10.xx X11 product definition, which causes the SD tools to generate this error message.

To verify that this is definitely the case, run the following command:

# /usr/sbin/swlist -l fileset X11

The output of this command should appear as follows:

# Initializing...
# Contacting target "prodhp1"...
#
# Target: prodhp1:/
#

X11 B.10.01 HP-UX X Window Software
# X11 B.10.20 HP-UX X Window Software
X11.MKFONTDIR B.10.20 Utility for making fonts
X11.MOTIF12-SHLIB B.10.20 Motif 1.2 shared libraries
In this output, the X11 product definition for 10.01 (empty) and the X11 product definition for 10.20 (followed by the filesets in this 10.20 product) are displayed.

If you are receiving this (or similar) output when you execute this swlist command, you need to remove the empty definition from the Installed Product Database (IPD):

# /usr/sbin/swmodify -u X11,r=B.10.01

NOTE: This command relies upon the revision number displayed in the output of the "/usr/sbin/swlist -l fileset X11" command noted above. Therefore, if the output of the swlist command indicated that revision 10.00 or 10.10 was the empty set, this command would need to be modified accordingly.

The same "Incomplete definition" error/warning message will occur when this swmodify command is executed because, it too, accesses the IPD. However, after this command is executed, each subsequent call to the SD tools will not generate this error/warning.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Thank you very much guys.

Shiju can you tell me from where and how you are giving the search options? My email ID is sghosh@barrlabs.com.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi Sandip,

For searching the TKB, go to ITRC home page (http://us-support2.external.hp.com/) and select the "search technical knoledge base" option and enter your search string and options. OR click here:

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=bcb4237917b6eff4ae

For searching HP documents, go to www.docs.hp.com

For another full search, click here:

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/emse/bin/doc.pl/screen=emseHome/sid=85b59f911389c19146

Select the search topics and enter the string.

One important thing to notify is that, the search depends on your login id to ITRC. And it again depends on the contract with HP and the system handlers you are using.

HTH,
Shiju

Life is a promise, fulfill it!