Operating System - Linux
1752782 Members
5770 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Problems to get HP 8760w and OpenSuSE 12.1, Ubuntu 11.10, Fedora16, and Knoppix 6.7.x to run

Gotare

Problems to get HP 8760w and OpenSuSE 12.1, Ubuntu 11.10, Fedora16, and Knoppix 6.7.x to run

Hi,

As a new owner of an HP 8760W (16GB, 2x750GB, 1920x1080, 2430+ HSPA) I was kind of happy. I upgraded all softwares (including BIOS to version F.23) to the latest and greatest, just to secure that all parts where ready for the transformation from Windows7 to Linux (OpenSuSE 12.1).

I was kind of surprised when I discovered that the BIOS have introduced a very big SHOWSTOPPER for installing any Linux on this machine. It seems that all distros have an issue with i2c in this machine after the BIOS upgrade. I thought it would be something wrong with OpenSuSE 12.1, but I was even more afraid when I discovered that all major distros have the same issue, including and distro built on kernels 2.6.xx and 3.0.x.

I would expect that there must be a way of downgrading BIOS to an earlier version, or that HP software development can issue a new BIOS upgrade that revokes this BIG issue.

We are a number of users in the world that runs Linux on our workstations to be able to pull as much power as we can from the Hardware, and it should be a shame if HP can't supply a BIOS that doesn't break the "def standard". Even Knoppix went in to a looked stage running the live-CD (And Knoppix is normally extremely hard to lock on startup)!

Best regards, and hope for a swift answer

Christian Gotare