4998 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with ftp

Prasanth B
Trusted Contributor

Problems with ftp

Hi All,

We have a client using IBM AS400 (3.2) trying to ftp to our ftp server (HPUX 10.20). They are able to logon to our server, but unfortunately the data port is not being open. There are firewalls at both ends. But the ftp ports (20/21) are open. Is there any special configuration required to get AIX-HPUX ftp working?. Does anyone bumped on such a problem before?

Thanks in Advance
Prasanth
Take life as it comes
5 REPLIES 5
Bruce Regittko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problems with ftp

Hi,

I'm not aware of any AIX/HP-UX ftp issues so I would first check for the obvious. Can you ftp to this machine from another host? Can you ftp from the host to the host, i.e., to yourself?

Make sure that the /var/adm/inetd.sec file is not disallowing ftp access. Also, make sure the ftp entries in /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services are correct. If you make changes in any of these files, run

inetd -c

to cause the daemon to reread the files.
www.stratech.com/training
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check that you are using passive FTP. For the data connection, the FTP server makes a reverse connection back to the FTP client. Opening up the following is not sufficient:

SRC: FTP client
DST: FTP Server
Ports: 20/21

You will need to open up the following:

SRC: FTP server
DST: FTP client
Ports: >1023

To verify, check your firewall logs during the next failed FTP attempt for drop/rejected connections from DST to SRC.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
Prasanth B
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to Bruce and Steven.

The Server at our end (HPUX) is a dedicated ftp server. We have many clients ftpying to that server without any problems. Also, as Steven suggested we have those rules in place in our firewall. I can check up the FW logs to see what exactly is happening. The interesting point is the client claims that they are able to ftp out to another AS400 machine (not in our network).
Take life as it comes
Tom Gore
Regular Advisor

This is real basic (and I am pretty new to all of this), but is your AS400 IP address in the /etc/hosts file?
Akhtar
Occasional Contributor

Hi
please use:
STRTCPFTP RMTSYS (yrproxyserver)
user-id@yourproxyserverpw@ip-address [of ftp server]
password@yourproxyserverpw[again]
put yrfile theirfile
get theirfile yrfile ****************** End of data ****************************************************************I use our AS400 to other site for sending and receiving files

God has provided bounties - Thank Him