1752509 Members
4907 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with prnadmin.dll and new HP printers

Shane Baker_2

Problems with prnadmin.dll and new HP printers

Hi There,

We are configuring all of our new machines using IP printing, so I have developed an application that allows us to install printers on a machine remotely using the PRNADMIN.DLL utility. This has been quite successful with the older models such as the 4000, 4050, and 4100, but it doesn't work with the 4200 or 4250. Our organization is changing to the newer printers on a regular basis, and we don't want to have to make a desk visit to each machine to install the new models. The error message I receive when trying to add a 42xx series printer is "Print processor unknown." Has anyone else had any experiences with this particular DLL file, or experiences with the new print drivers that ship with the 4200 series printers?

ANY help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane
5 REPLIES 5
Pat
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems with prnadmin.dll and new HP printers

Hello, Shane,

I'm not familiar with PRNADMN.DLL

Programmatically Create a Printer and Printer Port by Using PrinterAdmin (Prnadmin.dll) with a Visual Basic Script in Microsoft Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B321025&Product=win2000

Error:

The print processor is unknown.

Explanation:
The print processor is a dynamic-link library (DLL) which calls the printer driver. An application has tried to use a print processor which has not been installed on your computer.

User Action:
Contact your system administrator to check the software that has been installed on your computer. If the required DLL cannot be installed on your system, you may have to contact the supplier of the running application.

Pat
DAVID CHENG
Advisor

Hello Shane. I just got this error today when trying to add a LaserJet 4250 to my Windows Server 2003 4-node cluster. The crazy thing is - I've had no problems in the past adding LJ 4200 and 4250's to this virtual cluster server.

If you have a Win2k3 cluster, check out this Microsoft KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835609/

Note the recommendation at the bottom of the KB to use 4100 drivers instead of 4300. I don't know if that applies to 4200 also.

I'm trying to get the hotfix now.

David
tim bennett_1
Occasional Contributor

was this ever resolved. I have the same issue with several HP network printers 2300, 3120 & 4200. I use the same utility with savin and OCE printers wit no problem. I have tried everything I know to get this to work.
tim bennett_1
Occasional Contributor

I found that the pc I was trying to install to did not have the HPZPPxy print processor. I Copied HPZPPxp.dll to the print processor directory and updated the registry. I had to reboot for the OS to reconize the print processor. Why is this different than a normal printer install.
chris hanlon

I have vbs scripts for all of our printer installs. Adding new drivers to a remote pc has never been an issue untill this laserjet 4250. It seems to not recognize "HP LaserJet 4250 PCL 6." Here is the code I have:

Set oDriver = CreateObject("Driver.Driver.1")
oDriver.InfFile = "\\server\apps$\DRIVERS\Printers\lj4250\pcl\hpc4x50c.inf"
oDriver.ModelName = "HP LaserJet 4250 PCL 6"
oDriver.ServerName = "\\" & name

Like I mentioned before, this code works for all sorts of odd printer drivers. This lj 4250 is the only that it does not work on.

The error message is "The parameter is incorrect." The error number is -2147024809.