Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process.destroy kills outer shell when killing inner

Peter Suggitt
Occasional Contributor

Process.destroy kills outer shell when killing inner

Hi

I have a nice little problem when I use the Runtime.exec() method. If I have a running C++ binary in a Process object and I want to kill it I issue a destroy at the Process object and the process picks up whatever signals are sent and it it terminates correctly.

If I then use the same code to execute a shell script then the whole program terminates after picking up the sent signal.

The script I am using is a csh script:
#!/bin/csh -f
while (1)
echo help
sleep 10
done
# this will not terminate until I need it to

I am running this on Red Hat Linux and starting the process from a csh .. I have no idea why this is so .. has anyone else come across this before?

When I run this with verbose I also get the following before it all terminates (the log4j comment is just from a shutdownhook):
[Loaded sun.misc.Signal$1 from /sbcimp/run/tp/sun/jre/v1.4.2_04/lib/rt.jar]
Shutting down log4j processses
[Loaded java.util.Vector$1 from /sbcimp/run/tp/sun/jre/v1.4.2_04/lib/rt.jar]
[Loaded org.apache.log4j.helpers.NullEnumeration]
suggitpe./home/suggitpe/test/MEMPHIS/TAX_TEST/bin.xldn1081dap -->
3 REPLIES
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Re: Process.destroy kills outer shell when killing inner

Hi Peter,

Got some time to write some test programs. I could not reproduce yours error. The program works just fine. I used yours code for the script (replacing done with end!). I have tested on RedHat 9 and yours same version of Java (1.4.2_04-b05).

Bojan
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Sorry,

After reading yours post in thread
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=717270
I see that you was trying in ksh. Now I can replicate your simptom. The simptom is only when the subprocess is in ksh, I try bash and csh and works OK.

So, for me, ksh must be investigated.

Bojan
Peter Suggitt
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I see what you mean. I have just written a test haness to test this (in isolation) and it would appear that the issue revolves around the linux implementation of KSH.

I have run the same test on solaris and using ksh is OK, if I then try it on Linux it kills the parent processes.

One other thing to note is that when I run on Solaris the parent PID is the java process, when I run in Linux the parent PID is a non-existent process.