1753677 Members
5537 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Process priority influenced by param.h?

Jos Francois
Occasional Advisor

Process priority influenced by param.h?

We have processes running at priority 152, eating cpu as hell. As far as I can notice, the priority of those processes doesn't change, even with a nice value of 39. When I look into /usr/include/sys/param.h, I find something that (maybe) could influence the base priority of a process ie. PRIBETA (6+PTIMESHARE) PUSER (50+PTIMESHARE) and so on. This latter gives a (base) priority PUSER of 178 or the normal priority of a process. Are those definitions indeed base priorities? And if so, how can we assign a base priority to a process?
JJFRAN
2 REPLIES 2
Lalit Seth
Frequent Advisor

Re: Process priority influenced by param.h?

Hi jos,

I am also looking for something like this. Did you able to solve this issue.

Can u provide in more details on this?

Many Thanks
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Re: Process priority influenced by param.h?

Real time priority values (0 - 127) are reserved for processes started using a rtprio() call and are used in a real-time scheduling policy.

System priority values (128 - 177) are used in a time-sharing scheduling policy.

User priority values (178 - 255) are used in a time-sharing scheduling policy.

The kernel can change the priority of any process within a time-sharing scheduling policy, but it can't change the priority of a real-time process.

Thus if a process is running with a priority of 152, it must be a system priority value rather than a user one (the default). The kernel believes that the process is running on behalf of the system, rather than as a user's process. e.g. vxfsd will typically have a priority of 152.