New Discussion юеВ

Re: Progress slow ....help me pls..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Samboja
Advisor

Progress slow ....help me pls..

Dear all,

I'm running symix and progress 9.1C on K370 server with 2 processor, 2GB of memory, HPUX 11.00 64 bit. I feel that my application running very slow.
Can you give me suggestion to increasing my application performance ? Do I need to change kernel parameter ?
Existing kernel parameter is attached for you to investigate which parameter should be changed.

Thank's for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The first step is by increasing the swap,since you have 1GB RAM swap should be atleast 2GB.
(use 'swapinfo' command to get the size), if the application is still running slow, then change the 'maxdsiz' and 'maxdsix_64bit' to the values
maxdsiz 3221225472
maxdsiz_64bit 4294967296
build the kernel and reboot the m/c.
never give up
Animesh Chakraborty
Honored Contributor

"I feel that my application running very slow."

Is it became slow suddenly?or it is always slow from the day one?
please give us the following output
1.vmstat 1 5
2.top
3.sar 1 5
your kennel parameter dbc_max_pct is 20. Make it 8.
Did you take a backup?
Samboja
Advisor

Dear all,

Here's I give you more information :

My Application become slow since I've upgraded progress and HP-UX version to 11.00.
I Have added 1GB memory and 1 processor 180MHz, but it doesn't help improve performance at all.

Also I've attached output from command :
1. sar 1 5
2. vmstat 1 5
3. top

Thanks

Sam.
Gerald Virden
Advisor
Solution

Sam,

My systems are comparable to yours. I have a K220 with 2 processors and 2 GB RAM. We have around 50 users 8:00-5:00. As I have investigated the slow down here, I have found that RAM and disk speed are the problem. Run sar -bd 5 5 and check for %rcache, and avque for disks. %Rcache should be 90 or higher and avque should be low. I usually have around 100+ queue length (up to over 3,000) which is not great performance. (Lund Performance suggests 1-3 but says it varies from system to system. I also have attached my kernel settings. These have been tuned by a Progress consultant. Hope this helps.
keith persons
Valued Contributor

Samboja,

After looking at your kernel parms the very first suggestion I have is to reset timeslice back to 10 - this alone could cripple your system. Once reset to default the next step will be dependent on the performance curves at that time.

Keith