5262 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Support Pack for Linux

Steve Hickel
Occasional Contributor

Proliant Support Pack for Linux

Hello,

Strange issue. We installed Pavillion Support Pack for Linux on our HP Proliant DL380 G4.

When completed it mentioned or I chose to have unit auto shut down after installing this software. I didn't wait for it to auto-shut down. Now when we try to login into our box, we get a message after entering the user name and password that the system is shutting down and will not allow a non-root log in.

The root gets the message but the system allows root to actually login.

How do I fix this issue? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Steve
4 REPLIES 4
Steve Hickel
Occasional Contributor

Where I said pavillion, I meant proliant. Sorry for the confusion, BTW, we are running RH Linux ES 4.x.
Eric Singer
Frequent Advisor

Hi Steve,

Try logging in as root and issuing the command "shutdown -c" to cancel the shutdown. Then you can do an "init 3" or "init 5" to bring everything back up. Ultimately you'll probably need to reboot the server.

Hope this helps,

Eric
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Most probably the message comes from the /etc/nologin file. The login process checks if it exists. If it does, the login process displays it and disallows any non-root logins. You can remove it manually, if necessary.

The normal boot process should remove the /etc/nologin file as one of the last things it does (the script gets called as /etc/rc3.d/S99rmnologin or something like that).

If this script does not exist, your installation may be damaged - or just heavily customized. If it exists but does not get executed at the end of a normal boot sequence, you need to find the last boot script that runs correctly - the next one after that is having a problem that needs to be fixed. A log of boot-time messages would help - see if your Linux distribution provides one. It would probably be somewhere in /var/log, or maybe /etc/rc.log.

You did not tell which Linux distribution you're using, so I cannot give you more detailed advice without more information.
MK
Steve Hickel
Occasional Contributor

the nologin file did exist. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Steve