Operating System - HP-UX
1753485 Members
4568 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pushing/Pulling files to IBM's MQ Queues on Windows, from HP Unix

John Keleher

Pushing/Pulling files to IBM's MQ Queues on Windows, from HP Unix

Are primary environment is the HP Unix platform and typically we use FTP to move files between servers. At this time a new software vendor is implementing IBM's MQ Queues with us, to exchange files with their application. We are now their first client where they will be getting files from the HP Unix platform and are having issues providing a solution.

They have provided a java program for this push but I cannot get the program to execute once it is compiled. I also cannot get it to execute from the Windows platform, where they have tested the code.

At this time I am looking for commands or a script to exchange files with MQ. I reviewed the HP and IBM sites with no luck. I also looked at the HP Reference for 11.0 and see the mq_* commands, but cannot find them on any of our servers. My thought is they may not have been loaded and maybe something the Unix admins need to load.

If someone could kick me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
6 REPLIES 6
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

I guess my first reaction to this is "How is this *your* problem?"

I'd take it up with the vendor that wants to implement this. IBM will gladly *sell* you the pieces to run this I suppose, as it is there application, but I wouldn't expect to find any downloads.

You mentioned 11.0 manuals, which hopefully isn't where you are at now. in looking at the "mq_*" stuff you noted, they aren't standalone commands, but subroutines / interfaces for building your own message based application(s). you won't find them in bin or whatever.

they (the mq_) stuff states the conform to POSIX, but IBM may (or may not) have implemented their own messaging scheme.

Again, I believe this is an issue for the vendor to come up with a working solution, not the client.
John Keleher

I agree this should not be my problem, but it is. They have not provided a solution to push from HP Unix to a Windows server, so I am using this forum and the web to hunt down a solution.

This is probably not a brand new problem and someone else has already crossed this bridge. I am just trying to find a solution for a project where the "produciont date isn't moving".
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

Their Java client probably requires the MQSeries libraries, which means you need to install the MQSeries client. I don't know what kind of licensing that requires.
John Keleher

On one of the HP sites I found references to MQ objects but could not determine if there are additional libraries that need to be loaded.
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

"IBM MQ Queues" probably means IBM MQSeries (now rebranded as "WebSphere MQ" even though it's not WebSphere), but you should contact your vendor to confirm that. MQSeries has nothing to do with the POSIX message queues provided by your OS, and I would not expect HP sites to have much information on an IBM middleware product. MQSeries has client (you) and server (your vendor) components that run on lots of platforms.

http://www.ibm.com/software/mqseries/
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

i what I was driving at, but didn't explain it very clearly.

the "MQ queues" are part of IBMs "messaging backbone", and as far as I can tell, you need additional licensed software from IBM to implement it.

The vendor either needs to supply the required components or implement a strategy that you can support with what you've got. In this case, since your the customer, you should be calling the shots*

*unless somebody agreed that your company would buy/supply whatever infrastructure was required to implement this