4541 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

QUANTUM DLT 4500

Fermín Mena Santos
Occasional Contributor

QUANTUM DLT 4500

hello, all.

I´m trying to connect a Quantum DLT 4500 to a HP model D-380 with HPUX 11.00. The autocharger is phisically connected but when I do a "Ioscan -f", appears only the drive with its scsi direction but not appears the robot, so I can´t configure it (dataprotector). I think it`s possible there is a drive wich isn´t configure in the kernel, but I,m not able to find it (stape and tape2 are present). Any ideas? Thanks in adv
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: QUANTUM DLT 4500

You may need the schgr, sctl or ssrfc drivers. I'm not sure which would work. You might verify that all 3 are there and see if you have any better luck.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Check out document KBAN00000190. This discusses the autochanger, what drivers are needed based on the type of hardware, how to test, etc.

The robot will take a different driver that the stape or tape2

Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

Hi there

Make sure that the SCSI standard of the DLT is the same as the card in the DL380 (i.e. do they match SE, FWD/DIFF, HVD, LVD, etc.).

HTH - Keith
Arse-cover at all costs
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I suspect that you don't really need any of the SCSI changer drivers but only the SCSI pass-thru (sctl) driver. Do an lsdev to see if the sctl driver is already installed. If not, install it and build a new kernel. You can then create a device node for it using the mknod command.

Let's assume the sctl major device number is 203 (typical) and that the SCSI ID of your robot is 3 that the instance of your SCSI controller is 2.

mkdir /dev/robot
mknod /dev/robot/c2t3d0 c 203 0x023000

This is my normal means of controlling any DP/OB2 DLT Library that understands the SCSI changer commands.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

IIRC the 4500 autochanger by default shows up at the same SCSI target ID as the tape drive, but at LUN 1. Your ioscan output doesn't even show the device as UNCLAIMED/UNKNOWN, indicating that HPUX can't see the device at all, so I doubt installing drivers will help at this point. Does the front of the unit display any errors?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Fermín Mena Santos
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Rick.

¿Where can I find this document? I´m looking for it in docs.hp.com but I,m not sucessfull? Thanks in advance.

Fer
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think this is the Document Rick was talking about: http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000076281165

After you solved your issue, check also this about the forum: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

The document came from the ITRC Knowledge Base.
Fermín Mena Santos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for everybody. In this moment, I cannot test with all the solutions that had sent to me, because I used another disk and installed the 10.20 version. With this HPUX version, the robot appears in the ioscan, but unclaimed, then I install the schgr driver and after this the robot appears "autoch 0 8/16/5.5.1 schgr CLAIMED DEVICE Quantum TZ Media Changer" But with the HPUX 11.00 version, I never have been the robot so it isn´t probably to obtain a path to the robot by install a driver. In any case, I´m looking for a solution in the KBAN00000190 document, but it´s seem that HPUX 11.00 can´t see the robot of this autocharger (Quantum DLT