Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUIRK (?)

Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

QUIRK (?)

Thanks again for all the help. However I have discovered a quirk that you may be able to help me with also: When using the "X -query hostname" command, the CDE desktop returned doesn't respond to the CAPS LOCK key. I can hold down the shift key and type uppercase letters, but I only get all lowercase letters when using CAPS LOCK. I know there is some kind of quirk with X terminals themselves, because when a user logs out, the CAPS LOCK gets turned off automatically. Is there a setting within CDE to remedy this? (It may seem trivial, but I have several hundred users, all with an all CAPS user/pass and they been trained a certain way for years...) (and yes, all the hardware, etc works just fine - CAPS LOCKS works everywhere but the CDE desktop)
if only we knew...
2 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: QUIRK (?)

You might want to look at the XInput stuff for keyboards, and the X translation tables (with 'xmodmap').

I've not played with them myself, but there was a post here a few weeks (months? I loose track of time pretty easily) which fixed a similar issue thus.

(specificly "xmodmap -e 'add lock = Caps_Lock'" ?)
One long-haired git at your service...
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

Re: QUIRK (?)

Thanks for the response, but I could not get this to work either...
if only we knew...