1753632 Members
5790 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question on HP Threading

Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

Question on HP Threading

Are there any whitepapers and information on how HP PA Risc and Itanium threads on a single core or dual core processor? I am is trying to determine whether there is single threading on these processors or multi-threading. If there are any whitepapers comparing it to Sun's threading would be good to. Thx in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Re: Question on HP Threading

Hi,

The following link is for PA-RISC and ITANIUM
http://www.openpa.net/systems/
http://www.openpa.net/systems/#itanium

If you mean Multithread programming like using Java, I believe PA-RISC supports it.
Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

Not sure how the two links has to do with explaining threading on HP-UX??
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

you are referring to Hyperthreading.. Not thread programming.

HPUX supports it
rick jones
Honored Contributor

What sort of threading do you mean? It sounds like you wish to ask if the processors have hardware threading support. In that case, PA-RISC has no hardware threading support. Itanium since the "Montectio" (Itanium 9000 series) processors has support for it, with each core supporting two threads. If you want to know how much it may improve performance, that is an "it depends" to the extent the best thing is to try it with your workload and see.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

HI

I think your phrasiology is throwing a couple, and I suppose you're looking for benchmarks. Try this thread if its not what you want let us know:

http://www.spec.org/web2009/results/
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Michael - there are no PA-RISC nor Itanium SPECweb2009 results published. To date, all SPECweb2009 results published on www.spec.org have used Xeon processors in one variation or another.

I can say with five-nines certainly there will be no PA-RISC SPECweb2009 benchmarks published at this point. The most recent PA-RISC, SPEC web server benchmarks published would be SPECweb99 or perhaps SPECweb99_SSL. And, since PA-RISC never had hardware threading it is moot anyway :)

Whether or not there will be Itanium SPECweb2009 benchmarks published is anyone's guess.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Rick

You know, you're absolutely right.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

> Trojan36: Not sure how the two links has to do with explaining threading on HP-UX??

Not threading but CPU specifications..
Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

One follow-up question on the Itanium and two threads per Core. How exactly is the processing done on those threads and at what speed do those threads run at? For example, if the Core has a speed of 1.6 GHZ, is each thread running at Max 800 MHZ? Thx in advance.