4946 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quick Launch buttons issue - no longer work

yama_2
Occasional Advisor

yes sorry that was sumr not mr west lol my bad! :D

yeah so the problem does come back and i find myself hard booting everytime. as with your volume display thing sumr.

i had that too a while ago when the quick launch buttons WERENT working. when i used the remote it had that green display and the windows one.

and as a gamer i was annoyed aswell! but what i just realised is that i dont have that rocket ship thing anymore. and only one display comes up.

so my advice is to get rid of that rocket ship (whatever its called) blast it out of the sky lol.

hmmm i dont remember how i got rid of that but yeah its gone and i dont have that problem anymore.

currently i have flashed the bios to the oldest version to see if that provides a constant cure. the hp people are always talking about restoring the hp settings maybe its the bios the is disrupting the bios settings.

because i think the quicklaunch buttons actually rely on the predetory part of windows (bios). when they make the 'beep' sound its not comming from the speakers mounted on the top. its coming from the internal speakers.

so i will give that a go and will get back to you guys shortly with good/bad news.

tc and good luck!
sumr
Advisor

Ricardo HK:
Perhaps you want to change your power schemes hibernation setting to Never.

Yama:
The rocket ship has been blasted out of space LOL : ) I will let you all know if the buttons stop working.

yama_2
Occasional Advisor

hey sumr

after flashing bios to the old one everything seemed to be going well the light was on and it was working.

but i noticed the light turned off and stopped working all together when i played counter strike in full screen!

im annoyed badly. and the other thing too is the manifold of the lid is starting to open up! its cracking on the sides. everytime you open the lid the side gets cracked open. i have to actually press them together!

which bios are you running now? see if the same thing happens to you to sumr?

later
Ricardo HK
Occasional Advisor

What?
OMG, I'm really starting to get worried. Life was too smooth with my VAIO. I hope I don't regret eternally for buying this hp thing.

Sumr, thanks for the suggestion. That's what I'm doing now. The problem is that sleep mode doesn't turn off all lights, including the external one, so I need to shut down the computer every night.
sumr
Advisor

Yama:

I'm running the latest BIOS, vF.27 (7/07).

Does counterstrike have audio settings that would override the system (Quick Launch audio . . .)?

That stinks that the lid is separating. I have the 9000t CTO notebook and the lid has one release switch. I've often wondered if it will hold up as it's hard to release the switch at the same time as opening the lid without lifting the weight of the lid by the edges. So you're out of warranty?

The letters on my keyboard are wearing off (A, S, W, E, C, and O are half gone) and only the AWES are gaming keys - so what's up with the O wearing off? The spacebar also has visible wear. I guess we know where they saved money in production. I do like the quality of the screen.

I also have a HP7300 All-in-One and it is supposed to work on a network. It doesn't.

Ricardo HK: Why is it a problem that sleep mode doesn't turn off all lights? Isn't sleep just ready to resume versus hibernate. The minimal system requirements at ready shouldn't be a problem - right? Although I do think it's a good thing to shut down once in while anyway.
Ricardo HK
Occasional Advisor

Hey Sumr,

the problem is that the HDX has a powerful bright glowing-in-the-dark logo on top of it's lid, which remains glowing when it's closed. The computer stays in my bedroom, so you guess how it is to sleep (human sleep) with all glowing lights in the dark... The room becomes like a disco.
yama_2
Occasional Advisor

sumr

i duno know if it has settings that shut it down not sure but..

hows your quick launch buttons going? still alive?

i have a release switch too on my dv9009nr but the place where shell that holds the insides of the screen is departing at the point where they meet.

ive got 3 year international warranty but then i would have to send the laptop to someone and wait for ages for them to fix it.
Ricardo HK
Occasional Advisor

I've used a P35 Toshiba for 1 year or so. Never had ANY problem with it, but little issues with the paint/finishing, etc, which is okay for a reasonable priced laptop, but no hardware or software failures.

sumr
Advisor

PROBLEM: QUICK LAUNCH BUTTONS DON'T WORK
CAUSE: HIBERNATION
WORK AROUND FIX: HARD BOOT BY UNPLUGGING WITH BATTERY OUT

My system:
HP Pavillion dv9000t CTO Notebook Pc
64 bit machine running Windows XP regular not XP 64 bit)
BIOS F.27

***The question remains; do they stop working when the system hibernates using the original BIOS?***

My Quick Launch buttons died for the first time since unplugging to fix the Quick Launch buttons.

I gamed on battery last night which is unusual. I closed the lid when done. The laptop hibernated even though I had the Home/Office Desk power scheme selected because it has settings for "Plugged In" (default is to never hibernate) and "Running on Batteries" (default is to hibernate).

I've now changed all settings in all schemes to never hibernate.

Ricardo HK: I can see how glowing lights would be a bother - I'd cut out duct tape in the shape of the lighted logo and color it black with a permanent marker like a sharpie.

Yama: Getting warranty repair is hard to wait for!

lizardfina

So, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with the quicklaunch buttons in a completely different way. I would very much like to turn OFF the beeping, without completely disabling the functionality. Is this at all possible, and if so, how can it be done?

Thanks,

liz