108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quick Launch buttons issue - no longer work

sumr
Advisor

I googled "quick launch buttons stop beeping" and found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/hp-quickplay-buttons

"3) The buttons will still beep if you push them, so if you want to turn this feature off, you can simply just restart and go through the BIOS, where there is a feature to turn off the sound for buttons"

To get into the BIOS push F10, Esc, F1, Del, or F12 (depending on your PC) while your system is booting.

CAUTION: While in the BIOS, make certain you do not accidentally make unwanted changes to other settings. If you accidentally change the value of a setting and you don't know what to change it back to, exit BIOS setup and select DO NOT SAVE CHANGES. Reboot and enter the BIOS again and give it another try.

If you decide to try this, let us know how it went. Best wishes.
lizardfina

Yeah, I found that almost immediately after posting my original question. I tried it twice, and it didn't work at all. My laptop is an HP Compaq Presario V6000, and the guide was for a different HP model, so that might be why it didn't work.

Thanks anyways.
sumr
Advisor

I hope you find the solution. I'd really like to know what you found that works eventually. You'd think they would have adequate software for Quick Launch to customize our "Learn, Use, and Create" experience!

Best wishes!
Jan Kauffmann

I have a new HDX9050EO dragon PC. The buttons worked in the beginning, but now they don't. I have now tried to reinstall from factory settings - still no solution. Have anybody called HP to get an answer? It cannot be true that you have to reboot w/o batteries?

JAn
sumr
Advisor

[quote] I have a new HDX9050EO dragon PC. The buttons worked in the beginning, but now they don't. I have now tried to reinstall from factory settings - still no solution. Have anybody called HP to get an answer? It cannot be true that you have to reboot w/o batteries?

While there may be another solution than the one I posted in this thread, none of us have found it yet. If you do, please post.
Ricardo HK
Occasional Advisor

I feel disappointed. I've paied more than $2,000 in this "deluxe" notebook they call HDX Dragon, which is the most expensive ever and found out that it comes with a hardware problem like this.

The reset without battery idea works for one day or so. It's a matter of time for the buttons to stop working again. So, the best thing one can do is turn the computer without batteries every morning :-)
HP is not giving a support for this problem.
yama_2
Occasional Advisor

hey all

ive got a hp dv9009nr laptop
after i installed the eldest version of the bios and hard booted my system i have had no problems anymore with the buttons. that was about a month back or so.

and also make sure your power settings are set to NEVER hibernate. and that should be able to work. well for my one it did anyways.. i dunno about the dragon one.

but yea you should only have to hard boot once not every morning thats ridiculous.

let me know if that works for yas!

yama
sumr
Advisor

RicardoHK: My HP7300 All-in-One doesn't work on our network. Countless hours on the phone and guess what, solution was to reinstall software on a rebuilt laptop. I drag a USB to my laptop to print.

Yama: Yes, setting the laptop to **never hibernate** has worked for me as well since my earlier post. I haven't had to hard boot since. Glad it's worked for you! Happy I accidentally found the solution : ) Can you imagine how any logical thinking person would have come to this solution without an accident? :0
Kyle Schultheiss

I personally just had the problem. The quick launch buttons were there but the mute button wouldn't turn amber when the system was muted. I reset the bios, uninstalled the quick launch buttons and rebooted my computer. At this point I reinstalled the software and then uninstalled my sound card and reinstalled it. Then I reboot the computer and tried using the buttons. This caused it all to work. I think the fix was in the sound card. Uninstall the sound card then reinstall the software that comes with the computer for it. Then it should hopefully work.
Adam Ososki

Just to add to the list of users in this situation. I have a new 9095EA super laptop - uk spec - running vista - same thing in the first 3 days I had 4 requests by hp to factory reset and they wanted to come collect my machine and fix it. I also discovered the remove battery temp fix and a link to hibernate. I also have issues with nortons which I have just removed as it couldn't live update, and the ati software bombed out and that was a factory reset again last week.