Operating System - Microsoft
1748211 Members
4963 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quotation Marks when typed, single & double, go into buffer.

SteveBe

Quotation Marks when typed, single & double, go into buffer.

We've got a new Pavilion a1550a. When we type if we hit the single or double quotation mark nothing happens. However, if we hit it a second time, two single or double quotation marks appear on screen. It's like the first one goes into a buffer & gets released with the second one when you hit the key a seond time. Is this a known bug with this machine? Thanks Steve.
4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Steve:

What application/version are you using. Try Notepad and Wordpad. Does the same symptom happen?

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
SteveBe

Happens in any application. Tried photoshop & Works Word Processor as well as e-mail etc. Problem happens with the keys that contain the following (typed with much difficulty) ~` & "'
Not the keyboard as I tried a different one.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

It "looks" like it trying to compose a Spanish character set i.e. ~n

Check your language settings through Control Panel, Regional and Language options.

Could also be caused by a setting in the language bar located over by the Systray on the windows toolbar.

Turn off the language bar if you're not using it.

Jon

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
SteveBe

OK, called HP tech support. This pc is a week old & the guy started telling me that it looked like we would have to do a destructive restore as he couldn't find anything wrong with the regional settings.
Anyway, not wanting to start from scratch again with this pc I said ok, I'd back up my data & call back.
Luckily, I deleted the keyboard settings installed during set up & tried an 'Irish' keyboard configuration. (I'm from Limerick) Not quite right, deleted that & tried an English Australia keyboard / US. OK! perfect.
Beats backing up 2GB's of data & configuring loads of app's.
Thanks guys & thanks HP.