Operating System - Linux
1748061 Members
5475 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID card issues with RX8620 running RedHat Advance Server 4.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Al_56
Regular Advisor

They started off with the 6402 RAID card before moving to the current 5304 card.

l'm wondering if RedHat Advanced Server (4.0) does not have the correct drivers that RHEL 3 & 4 did/do, and this is why they couldn't get these servers running off the hardware raid to begin with.

Alan, did you use the Samrt Start CD to create the RAID partitions on your RX8620's? The guy here says you can't........

Thanks,

Al
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

I create my partitions manually. I use the smartsetup cd at this point just for firmware.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

going from a 64xx to a 53xx doesn't seem like a solid move to me -- the 53xx is a u160 vs the 64 being a u320. The better move would have been to a 6404 (even if unsupported -- all the 6402 is is a 6404 with 2 ports taped over).
Al_56
Regular Advisor

So on the Itaniums you can't create the service partition? Did l interpret that correctly?

Are you running RHAS (Advanced Server) or RHEL?

l found this reference to the 5300 RAD cards and found compatability for RHEL up to 4.0, but only to 2.1 on Advanced Server (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/family/model/1237.html?lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=374791)
Al_56
Regular Advisor

The tech said that the 6402 cards were not even recognized by the RX8620's upon boot, and he had multiple cards, and tried them all in each server, in multiple slots, so in theory the cards or PCI-X slots weren't bad.

So perhaps either this is a strange batch of RX8620's, or a strange batch of cards.....
Alan_152
Honored Contributor
Solution

No I could create a service partition with the sscd, but I don't use it to do other partition work. I leave that up to the efi and/or the OS.

It is strange that your 640x cards aren't even detected -- are you sure the tech is locking the cards into place so that the slot is powered up? Using a "reconnect -r" from the EFI shell should at least give you a battery/partition summary from the smart array card.

Like I said, our Olympias run rhel3 and rhel4 with both 53xx and 64xx cards -- but we're a testing environment, so (as I've said) we do some things that aren't official or supported.
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Thanks Alan,

Your advice on the battery charge fixed the issue with the 5304 cards he was installing on the servers.

It was probably the same issue that gave him issues on the 6400 cards as well.

So with Advanced Server 4.0 you have to load the OS without the hardware RAID (as the card has no Advance Server driver past 2.1), and then migrate to the Hardware RAID once installed.

Spoke with our HP rep who said that the cards were compatible with Advance Server 4.0, but will have to check and see why the drivers are not on the support site.