New Discussion

Re: RDP 6.5 image capture/deploy on SLES9

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

RDP 6.5 image capture/deploy on SLES9

Hello,

I am running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 on an HP DL360 G3. I have an Altiris RDP 6.5 server running on Windows 2000. I would love to be able to capture this SLES9 image and deploy it again on the same hardware.

From what I have read, I need install the Agent manually on the Linux box. However, I'm not sure exactly which BIN to run for this OS. I'm assuming it's in the eXpress\Deployment Server\Agents\ADLAgent folder, but am not 100% sure (nor am I sure exactly what needs to be done once I find it).

I'm not sure if this is even supported.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Hi Eric,

In order to install Altiris Agent for linux, your system must be supported by Altiris.

Supporting Linux clients are Redhat 7.1, 7.3, 8.0, 8.1, AS2.1, and United Linux 1.0

http://www.altiris.com/upload/deployment_002.pdf

Look under Page 56.

Regards,

Sung
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

Ah, bummer. That's what I feared. The documentation I have said the same, but figured I'd check here just in case too.

So there's no way to take an SLES9 server image with this version of RDP then, eh?

Sung Oh
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Eric,

even if you could build a image from SLES9, you still have to deal with Altiris RDP 6.5 known issues with SLES9.

Section 4 ­ Known Issues
4.1 ­ Deployment Server
4.1.1 ­ Deployment Agent for Linux not detecting DHCP on SLES 9: Deployment Agent for Linux is not detecting DHCP properly on the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server(SLES) 9 operating system with these conditions:
If you create a "reservation" (on a Windows DHCP server) with a "never expires," then the DHCP agent on the Linux box will exit after assigning the address, causing the Deployment Agent for Linux to misreport the agent as having a static address. Consequently, the Deployment Agent for Linux will report DHCP assigned addresses as "static" addresses if the lease time is set to never expire (which does make the address static if it never changes).

one option will be creating SystemImager image to deploy SLES9 systems.

http://www.systemimager.org/

Regards,

Sung
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Sung. It looks like I'm best to avoid SLES9 and RDP 6.5.

I'll check out the link you provided in the meantime.

Thanks!
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

Closing the thread since my question has been answered (RDP 6.5 does not support SLES9).

Thanks again!