Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RH 8.0 Beta in zt1175

vijay_10
Occasional Contributor

RH 8.0 Beta in zt1175

hi,
i installed rh 8.0 beta with win XP/PRO dual boot.

The problem is i cudnt get my sound working.I have a VIA 8233
and i downloaded the drivers from ansa but still i cudnt get the sound working.

The sound card detection window opens and when i play test sound i cudnt hear anything. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES
I_M
Honored Contributor

Re: RH 8.0 Beta in zt1175

Hi,

Initial settings of the ALSA driver, the sound volume is 0 (zero).
So you need to set the volume using "alsamixer".

Good luck
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think that the soundcard in this model is also a Winmodem. Its true that the sound volume is turned-down, but I found that my card uses plug-and-prey and keeps jumping interrupts, and so only works every few reboots. I cannot find any way of fixing the settings for this device.

Peter_95
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

No ideas but the same problem over here: on a Pavilion can't get the Vortex audio to play with ther RedHat beta. RH 7.3 worked flawless.
Peter_95
Occasional Visitor

Addition to previous post no sound in pavilion,
entry in dmesg:

dhcp-15-162-*-* modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
Aug 27 17:10:04 dhcp-15-162-*-* modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3

output of lspci -v:
00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor AU8810 Vortex Digital Audio Processor (rev 03)
Subsystem: Aureal Semiconductor AU8810 Vortex Digital Audio Processor
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
Memory at df800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
I/O ports at d000 [size=8]
I/O ports at b800 [size=8]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

Any ideas ? irq 9 is shared with the usb controller, could that be a problem? It does work in Win2k (it is a dual boot system)

Peter