cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RH 9 & sound card - Pavilion 4510

James Young_5
Occasional Visitor

RH 9 & sound card - Pavilion 4510

Just installed Linux on my pavilion 4510 after several hours sorting out the partioning. No sound though and the auto detection can't recognise my soundcard, which I believe is coupled with the modem (Rockwell). Any pointers would be really very much appreciated.
3 REPLIES
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: RH 9 & sound card - Pavilion 4510

Hi,

Your sound card is a combo modem/sound with Riptide chipset. Up to now, there doesn't seem to be any solution to make that stuff work on linux...

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
James Young_5
Occasional Visitor

Thanks very much for your answer. I'm very despondent as I've wanted to run Linux for a long time and thought I'd actually made it.
I suppose just putting in a new sound card would cause problems with the modem side? Is it possible to have a budget soundcard that is just recognised by Linux and remains inactive under windows, is that a possible workround. Any suggestions at all. Have I really hit a complete brick wall?
James
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Yes, any sound blaster compliant sound card will work. But if you install it, your BIOS will detect it and unactivate your onboard sound card function... so it'll be unactivated under m$ too (but who cares, as long as you have sound)...

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...