1753447 Members
5221 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RH AS 2.1 install on HP ML330

Cristian Draghici
Frequent Advisor

It would be interesting to see the error messages when you carry out the procedure to insert the megaide and lsicsb6 modules.
Otherwise the system probably never ends up probing those modules.

I've never tried with RedHat but the Mandrake installer allows you to punch in commands in a shell (probably console 2 - Alt+F2).

You should be able to halt/interrupt the install process just before it tries to detect the harddisks and manually insert the megaide and lsicsb6 modules. (to resume it you would just go back to ctrl+alt+f7 and hit Next)

Then go in the 3rd console and look for (kernel) errors.

The output of dmesg/lspci/lsdev should be interesting too (assuming these are available in the install console - i have no idea if they are).
Jorge Fonseca_1

I'm having the same problem with an RH AS 3 on the same machine model and with the same controller.

Have you solved your problem? If so, can you tell me how? Or at least give me some hints about a possible solution?
Charles Lacour

We had similar issues with our ML330s.

What fixed it for us was following the prescribed procedure EXACTLY.

Specifically, the lsicsb6 driver would load but not work if we booted from the CD. If we booted from the boot floppy the procedure recommends, it worked.

I saw something in all my searching about a memory issue - the kernel image on the boot floppy takes up less of some important kind of memory. Sorry, don't know any details, and can't even point you at the article I read (this was several months ago).