1748224 Members
4423 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RH EL 7.9 on DL380 with P410i - not seeing P410i

Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

RH EL 7.9 on DL380 with P410i - not seeing P410i

Had previously had RHEL 7.5 (actually Scientific Linux so equivalent to Centos).  It saw the drives on the P410i without issue.  FAST FORWARD and now I am getting back to the server that I have not used for many years.  Forgot passwords so decided to just do an install of Sci Linux 7.9 and move forward.  This OS does not see the P410i by default - ok.  But it does see the MSA1000 drive so I installed there.  

The P410i does display during boot and initializes.  It also boots the Sci Linux 7.5 which there.  I just have no access to those drives as I have long forgotten the passwords.

Down loaded the most recent driver for P410i from HPE and installed... no issue. no errors.

Rebooted.  Still no indication of the P410i from Linux.  Doing lsscsi only shows MSA and the DVD. But lspci shows that there is:

05:00.0 RAID bus controller: Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array G6 controllers (rev 01)

Down loaded the most recent firmware for the P410i and followed the instructions to update.  The update procedure does not detect any P410i. 

So the hardware knows it's there.  Sci Linux 7.5 boots from it.  But when I boot Sci Linux 7.9 - NADA.

Thought?

Thanks!

Bill.

Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
1 REPLY 1
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Re: RH EL 7.9 on DL380 with P410i - not seeing P410i

Problem solved...  Not sure HOW...

Found old media I had used to build system some years ago.  Booted the "Array Utility" which claimed the server was unsupported.  OK.

Booted Sci Linux 7.1 distro which initially complained about an illegal op mode.  Rebooted and it complained about corrupted firmware - first I had seen that - and would not continue.  Rebooted and it did get into the install and showed the P410i and the HBA for the MSA. But still had some issues.

So, I decided to just reboot 7.9 and see what was going on while I downloaded 7.5 live dvd to see if I could get some access to the P410i volume.   When I just checked and did lsscsi the P410i shows up.

Whatever.

I guess the electrons were tired.

Anyway...

Bill.

Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC