1748211 Members
4932 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RH8 / PSP 6.40 messages

Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

RH8 / PSP 6.40 messages

Hey all, I'm have a slight problem on my latest server. It is a ML370G3 server running RH8 using the 2.4.20 kernel. Is has an internal 20/40 DAT drive (yeah yeah..) on the embedded SCSI port.
When there is NO tape in the drive, I get these messages non-stop printed to the terminal and to /var/log/message:
Aug 10 04:04:44 fs kernel: (scsi0:A:6): 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
Aug 10 04:04:59 fs kernel: (scsi0:A:6): 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 7, 16bit)

I had this same problem is PSP 6.30, and could never solve it so we stuck with the 6.20 agents. I found if we stop the CMASTOR service the message goes away.
I know this is mostly a cosmetic issue since everything works fine, but it's a pain in the butt when i'm trying to work on the console and have messages popping up all the time.

Any help would be appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

BLEH... can't type... monday morning. The 2nd paragraph was supposed to be:

I had this same problem IN PSP 6.30
-NOT-
I had this same problem is PSP 6.30

Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Hello.

You probably already have been down this path, but have you had a look at

man 8 stinit and man 4 st

and perhaps the command mt has some effect ?

mt -f /dev/st0 reset

perhaps this could be solve prior to booting on the scsi controler setup "usualy ^c"

and also perhaps by crafting the service startup you could redirect error to /dev/null ?

I know theses are just vague pointers, but perhaps it will get you in the right direction.

It also seems that there could something like a CMASTOR setup/conf file that pools the scsi device to see if there a tape in there ?

I know nothing of CMASTOR.

Hopefully some of this will be helpfull.

J-P

Smile I will feel the difference
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

I'll take a look at those. CMASTOR is part of the HP/COMPAQ Proliant Support Paq for Linux. It's health and monitoring agents so we know how the servers are doing, and let us know whats failing / pre-failing. All that good stuff!